front coil cutting

then I would cut down the stiffer spring, which should provide better handling

with the poly bushing you can go ahead and torque them,they are not like the rubber bushings where they are bonded to the shell and the center sleeve

as high as your car is sitting, I would start with one full coil, then go with a half coil after that. err to the high side, the springs will settle some after some "real" driving on them, just sitting on them doesn't "work" the spring

If all the springs have the same "Install Height" at 11 inches. Does that mean the car will sit at the same height no matter which spring I use? Does that mean for me to drop it 2 inches I would need to cust 2 inches from the spring?

I do want the handeling. If I cut the spring does the spring get get stiffer? Maybe I should do the "6330" if that is the case.

the wire diameter of the spring has much to do with the spring rate along with installed height

the stiffest spring will be the 5536, also notice it has the shortest free height

part In DIAM Out DIAM spring rate LOAD INSTALL HEIGHT FREE HEIGHT

5374 : 3.63 :0.64 : 317 : 1957 : 11 : 17.17 : JUST REMOVED

5536 : 3.63 : 0.687 : 487 : 1984.5 : 11 : 15.06 : Big Block

6330 : 3.68 : 0.625 : 293 : 1827 : 11.25 : 17.5 : Small & Big ?

5372 : 3.63 : 0.625 : 288.5 : 1843 : 11 : 17.38 : Small Block

I understand the 5536 are the stiffest. If I cut the spring does the spring get stiffer or dosent that change? The car needs to come down 3 inches total. So if I can get it down 2 inches then drive it and let it settle the rest it should be good. I know there are no guarantee's how much cutting will effect it exactly. I can always get the Viking coil over shocks if it a bit too much..

So stick with the 5536 and cut them. Or go to the 6330 and cut them ? What is your opinion. Yes I do want it to handle. Thanks

Understood. I measured the wheel well this time before taking the "Moog - 5536" springs back out. Driver side was 29.5 from floor to wheel well lip. The Passenger side was 30 from floor to wheel well lip. The engine crossmember was 9.3/8 from floor. I just have to decide which spring to start with.

5536 : 3.63 : 0.687 : 487 : 1984.5 : 11 : 15.06 : Big Block

6330 : 3.68 : 0.625 : 293 : 1827 : 11.25 : 17.5 : Small & Big ?

5372 : 3.63 : 0.625 : 288.5 : 1843 : 11 : 17.38 : Small Block

So I returned the new coils I purchased. I cut 1 and 1/2 coils off the springs I had removed from the car and reinstalled them. The thing with the old coil springs is the side that goes in the pocket on the Moog - 5374 is round and dosent ave a flat spot on the coil itself like the Moog-5336 did.

Question ?? Is the Coil spring pocket tab supposed to be to the outside or to the inside of the coil spring? The car now sits correctly for me at 27.5 from the floor to the wheel well lip. and the engine crossmember is 7 inches from the floor..

Springs installed in car minus 1 & 1/2 coil.

5374 : 3.63 : 0.64 : 317 : 1957 : 11 : 17.17 :

Question ?? Is the Coil spring pocket tab supposed to be to the outside or to the inside of the coil spring?

If the spring pocket tabs look similar to the photo below, they go on the inside of the spring. The red arrows show the tabs on both sides of the spring and the blue arrow clearly shows the wear track of the spring on the outside of them. The small hole in the center is the upper shock mount. The second photo shows the top of the spring correctly positioned over the locating tabs (blue arrow).

cadda449-ef7b-49d6-b917-23e6504d3f9b_zps

b71e7a6d-f5b8-4927-8bc8-74864ea0f5c0_zps

I have rebuilt the front end of both of my '70s and getting the front coil installed correctly was the scariest, trickiest and most time consuming part of the entire job both times - I guess I'm a slow learner. frown

Thanks guys. I had them installed wrong. The old springs were binding on the tabs. I did not realize those tabs were there when I installed them. I angled the springs in so I could have the bottom part of the spring lined up between the holes on the lower control arm. The old springs are level in top but there is no flat spot on them like the other springs had. Think Ill get the new ones cut them and install them correctly.