Steering Wheel restoration

Murphy

Well, probably knows by now that I can't stop coming up with projects to do. From a complete brake & suspension overhaul to a automatic to 4-speed conversion to a 1955 refrigerator. Here's my latest completed project. Restoring the stock plastic steeling wheels in our beloved Monte Carlos.......

P1180177_zpsae7a2f37.jpg

P1180178_zps7d39e4ff.jpg

P4050191_zpsd6c1cc61.jpg

P4050190_zps66392dad.jpg

P5250214_zps17f76883.jpg

P8240223_zps5dd06620.jpg

P8240225_zps8f0cfec5.jpg

P8100214_zpsa478e60f.jpgTurned out really well, had to employ my painting buddy as we used an industrial acrylic and several coats of clear......

The filler I used is PC7, this stuff is great for plastic repairs. It was part of the Eastwood kit. The SEM paint although, wasn't so great.....My friend who refinishes antique bathtubs, sinks, and urinals swears by this acrylic coating. He says it will never chip or scratch, a couple coats of clear for extra protection. I noticed that the pictures look as if the finished surface is rough, that is not the case, smooth as glass!

Sweet! Great job on that for sure and as said earlier, you cannot tell at all where the cracks were. I suspect that an epoxy filler would also work nicely.

This should be added to the technical section for future reference. smile

It looks great. How many hours are wrapped up in it?

Rob

I'd have to say the entire job has maybe 8 hrs, this was my 1st attempt and I learned a lot. If there's another one, it would be 4-5 probably. It's all of hand sanding, as you might imagine..........