Wiring to Ignition Switched Power Help ??

snomobeelr

I am Installing a Vacuum pump. It is getting mounted in the front passenger side fender pocket next to the Battery. Two wires. One to ground and the other has to be to Ignition Switched Power and it has an inline fuse. Do I need run the power wire back to the interior to get to a Ignition Switched Power source? Or can I go to one of the starter Wires or coil Wire for the HEI ? Thanks

There are only two wires Ground and the power to ignition. I ran a 12 gauge wire to the interior and directions said to put a 15 amp inline fuse in. So I put the inline fuse with a female terminal and I plugged it into the the Ignition tab . I also tried the Accessory tab. The 15 amp fuse keeps blowing. There is also a 20 amp inline fuse by the motor. That one does not blow. its weird. It one wire from interior to the Vacuum motor. Don't know why it keeps blowing. The ground Wire I ran to the Ground on the battery because I mounted the pump right next to it.

1. What is the amp draw of the vacuum pump?

2. If you hook the pump directly to the battery using a fuse on the positive wire, does the fuse blow?

3. Have you had this unit hooked up and working before?

4. Have you checked to see how much voltage you have on the wire coming from your fuse box?

5. If you put some other load IE: fan motor, head lamp, etc. on the wire coming from the fuse box, does the fuse blow.

Do some testing and post your findings.

I tested the pump when I got it. Hooked it up to the battery and it had worked and did not blow the inline 20 amp fuse. I looked it up and it says the Pump uses 4 amps. I will have to check to see how much is coming from the tab on the fuse block I was using. I am working today will have to check when I get home. Heres a link to the instructions.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/im...0and%20inst.pdf

the accessory fuse is the fuse for many other things, your pump is putting that fuse over the edge

i would wire in a relay to control the pump, esp when you are mounting the pump so close to the battery