New rear seats mounted! Not OE

Daryl

They look bigger mostly because of the headrest. The backs of the seats only sit about an inch and half above the package tray. They are very comfy and hold you in the seat when the rear of the car decides it wants to switch places with front. Hopefully I'll have the front seats and console finished tomorrow.

As far as the car goes, I had to flatten out the mounts for the outer seat belts. All I did was take a 2x4 and sledge hammer and pound them back flat. Then I removed the old seat mounts, the hooks that mount on the bottom of the floor and the ones up top for the seat back. Basically giving it a smooth contour. After that I just had to make three brackets that the seatback hinges on. The bottom of the new seat is held in place by the seat back hinges and two holes that I cut into the floor and welded two pieces of box tubing. Inside the box tubing there are two big rubber grommets that I bought from Chrysler that hold the front of the seat bottom in the box tubing. It took about a day to figure everything out for the front and the back seats. I still plan on getting a two by four piece of steel tubing to reinforce the package tray and to mount the two seat strikers that the seat backs latch on to. After that I will cut out the original divider between the back seats in the trunk

Forgot to mention that another modification that needs to be done. These seats are a little bit narrower than our original seats. So I'm going to have to make an extension on the bottom part of the armrest. I plan on welding about 3 more inches of sheet metal to them. Inch and a half each side.This will make it wider which I think will be a good benefit. The original ones you can barely get your elbows on them. That then leaves a gap in the area between the seat back and wheelwells.The Chargers had a padded bolster in this area. When the junk yard gets a wrecked one in I'll borrow one to see if it fits. If It doesn't fit I'll just make them.

Wow really nice! I'd love to do this but not sure if I'd be able to get myself to modify the car that much lol. How did the front seats mount in there? Did you have to make your own seat brackets or use the existing GM or Chrysler ones?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't reply sooner been very busy.I basically had to make 2 mounts for the front seats that is on the inboard side. The outboard side of each of the seats I was able to just cut a hole and add a factory style nut and just reposition them. Here's a couple pictures that help it make a little more sense.

22Sep14022_zps5ca4afa3.jpg

The top hole is the factory mount. The bottom is the one I added.

22Sep14023_zpseb6f49f9.jpg

The inboard mounts are 2 big washers, one on top and other on the bottom of the floor, with a nut in the middle all welded together.

20140923_214252_zps58bexfil.jpg

22Sep14025_zpse7b817a4.jpg

Here is a back seat mount I made out of some box tubing

22Sep14028_zpse8f59e5a.jpg

22Sep14029_zps1d2f7e5f.jpg

OE grommet I talked about earlier

22Sep14030_zps77246018.jpg

This is the factory dodge seat latch for the back seat