Crossmember

I just had my TH350 rebuilt. I noticed that upon re-installing the crossmember bracket, that is rusted at the ends. It seems difficult to find parts for this, including the end rubber mounts. I have heard that you could use a Chevelle crossmember or a Grand prix crossmember to replace it and it will fit into its place with no end brakets. Does anyone know where to purchase a Chevelle crossmember. I searched on the internet and have had no luck. Thanks,

Tony

tony here is a new crossmember for a 700r4 trans 700r4.com . it should be the same for a th350 since i used my stock crossmember when i put the 700r4 in my monte. u might be able to get one made at a welding shop as well. we(me and my dad) made one for his nomad and another one for my uncles 56 belair.

Hi Tony,

You are correct. There are lots of GM cars that use the same crossmember (GM A-body). Also, the TH350 and TH400 use the same crossmember. The monte crossmembers had crossmembers that used rubber mounts and special brackets at the ends. A lot of these are rusted like yours because they seem to trap the water and rust out faster. The Chevelle crossmembers have two bolt holes at the ends and just bolt directly to the frame without using rubbers.

I switched a couple of mine to Chevelle types because it is hard to find good rubbers and brackets for the monte type. I see these all of the time at swap meets for around $30-$40. They are on ebay from time to time. I'm sure if you ask around someone will have a good used one for sale.

Mike

I used a crossmember from an Impala.. can't remember which year.. bolted in just the same.. only problem I ran into was that the exhaust 'humps' are in the wrong place and required a little extra pipe bending to make everything fit ..

When i built my ground crawling Monte i needed all the room i could get so i took a 77 corvette crossmember and modified it to fit the Monte (exhaust passed threw it) gave a nice look and didn't beat up on the pipes. As far as a stock even the Pontiac Oldsmobile and Buick crossmembers will fit I have used all of them in the past. Good luck smilefgmcc

terry

If your looking for a cross member, I have one that has been media blasted and primed. It is the style which has the two holes on each end. It was pulled from a stock 71 Monte. pdetroye@tcei.com

• 4 weeks later...