heater core

Hey, y'all-->

I'm pretty sure my heater core is leaking. I was thinking about this, and I started wondering if the heater core serves any purpose other than exchanging heat between the coolant and air from the heater...? I never use my heater, so I guess my real question is, can I just bypass the heater core, rather than replacing it? Thanks for any replies.

Really? Cool. The two heater hoses are different sizes, though-->do I need an adapter, or can I just clamp the big hose on to the smaller fitting real tight?

Do you ever use your defroster/defogger? If so, replacing the heater core is a worthy cause. A new Delco core cost me $54. I replaced mine about two weeks ago and it took me about a 2 hours to do. If you have A/C, (here in Florida it's a State law, you must have A/C, LOL) you may want to consider replacing the evaporator if it is original while you have it all apart.

------------------

KTMC72PS1.jpg

Charlie

Pensacola, Florida

72 Monte, 2nd (and last) Owner

And this one time at band camp.....oh wait it says band clamp im sorry biggrin.gif

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ADGTRUNKLID:

A nice new band clamp should do fine...</font>

------------------

lsabre.gif

1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Page

monte_thumb.JPG

Pete@firstgenmc.com

[This message has been edited by Pete_72_Monte (edited 10-23-2002).]

Well, my dad had an even better idea-->replace the heater hose fittings with pipe plugs. I did this tonight, and hopefully when I'm out of school for the week of Thanksgiving I'll have time to replace the heater core. Thanks for the info. Thanks, also, Charlie for the offer of shop space, but I don't know if I'll have time to do the work with the way school is going these days, and I know you're busy, too, so I think I'll just go with this temporary fix for now.

Arden, Surely you require a defroster in IL during winter months so you'll be able to see road ahead. Yea, replace the core. Auto parts stores may stock it for around $35. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 project 2" chop/Green/346LS1/4L60E

I replaced mine in the spring. It is a chore but not impossible for most any backyard grease monkey. My car has Air Conditioning and it took me about 5 hours. Maybe if you don't have air, it could be done in 2 hours. Most of the work is done from the inside of the car with the top of the dash out and the area under and behind the glove box ripped apart.

If you replace the core, just be very careful with the vacuum lines and which go from the control switch and the heater plentum box.

Rob

------------------

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here