INTERIOR - cloth vs vynal

Monte

My 4 speed car is due to be painted next week. Once its back together I will do the interior. My orig interior was vynal, but because I live in the desert I am thinking of going to cloth. Did they make cloth for a 70 4 speed bucket seat car? If so, where is a good place to get seat covers. Are there any photo's of the cloth that somebody could send me that I could look at? Thanks Monte.

Kevin,

I have heard that CARS Inc. is the maker of the cloth seat covers, if I'm not mistaken the cloth covers cost a couple hundred $$ more than the vinyl.

------------------

Dave C.

70 402 4spd Monte Carlo

71 SS 454 Monte Carlo

72 350 Monte Carlo

69 427 Corvette roadster

86 Grand National

96 Impala SS

Quote:
Originally posted by Monte:
My 4 speed car is due to be painted next week. Once its back together I will do the interior. My orig interior was vynal, but because I live in the desert I am thinking of going to cloth. Did they make cloth for a 70 4 speed bucket seat car? If so, where is a good place to get seat covers. Are there any photo's of the cloth that somebody could send me that I could look at? Thanks Monte.

Check out my web site, I have the cloth covers in mine. They are nice on hot days. They are $600 for a new set. There are a few places to get them. OPG in not on of them. http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/montecar.htm is one place that has them, and CARS in another.

Ian

------------------
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html

Monte, I personaly like the vinyl over clothe. I look at this way, I bought a first Generation Monte because when I get in the car it puts me back into a different time. May sound corny but thats the way I look at it. Clothe seats were'nt original sooo it would'nt seem the same to me. Just my opinion. Some people like clothe seats and there are advantages to clothe over vinyl. You don't scortch your posterior in the summer with shorts on, clothe is more forgiving there. Clothe is probably more comfortable than vinyl. Vynil on the other hand pprobably last longer and retains it looks longer than clothe. I've seen clothe interiors that were'nt to old and did'nt impress me with it's durabilty.

Then again it's all up to you. I like some originality in my ride. I have new vinyl covers on mine. they are not the 70 style, they are 71-72 stile with the button tuck. I like them alot and they're easy to keep clean.

Cloth wasn't original? cuz the seats in my car are some type of cloth and the car is original

------------------

• 69 custom camper/cst 10
  • 70 monte carlo
  • 73 chevelle 4 door

deluxe"kermit": no carpet(rubber floor) no floor, no trunk still drives

• 74 cheyenne super 20 454
  • 77 fully loaded silverado

that my Grandpa gave me

• 1980 BMW 320i(at least it isnt Japanese)
  • 1984 Buick skyyhwak that i won
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Aye!)

MONTE -

Take a look at what I had to say in reply to Heartbeat704spd's question in his post "Is it knitcloth?"

The "custom knit nylon" cloth was available for Strato-Bucket seats for '70 in black only, and I will testify that it is VERY long-wearing. My black '70 interior with this fabric is original, and there is not a single rip or tear in the nylon "cloth" material yet - just a couple places on the driver's seat where some of the sewn-in threads have come out. The only rip that I have is at a seam where the top and side of the VINYL area joins together.

These seat covers look just like the all-vinyl versions, except that the "custom knit nylon" seating areas are dull black in appearance compared to the shiny black vinyl sides.

I believe that Year One also sells these seat covers which they refer to as "Prima cloth".

Hope this helps,

Dave

P.S. I'll e-mail you the same partial interior pictures that I sent Heartbeat704spd yesterday for you to take a peek at.

[This message has been edited by David Mau (edited 03-08-2002).]

• 7 months later...

If you aren't interested in having a perfect restoration or whatever, any upholstery shop can get you the fabric or do the work for you.

To give you an idea, I have an original bench with the cloth torn and some worn springs, missing some foam on the driver's side. To do the front and back, fixing structual damage, redoing foam, etc., and with top quality nylon cloth, it's about 800-1000$.

Note that all new cars with cloth come with a nylon blend; it is very long lasting and durable compared to other cloth. There is a master catalog (again, upholstery shop) that will show you all currently available automotive fabric.

Vinyl may be cheaper (and there are more kits available), but unless the work is done custom (OR your seat is to perfect factory specs, i.e. no sagging of springs, etc.), there is no way to know for sure if any of those will fit perfectly. I think OPG has a Vinyl kit for the front seat for about $220. However then you have to deal with vinyl. Yes it is vintage but, unless you have a convertible (then who knows), cloth will probably last a while longer.

I personally find cloth cooler and more comfortable. Sitting on vinyl is sitting on plastic and without a/c that stinks.

Just a few more cents.

Will

I would check out www.musclecarsonly.com I switched from cloth to vinyl myself not to save the money, but I like the looks of the vinyl much better. I could understand if you are in Arizona why you would want cloth. Nothing quite like being in you cut offs, to sit down on a hot blistering vinyl sun backed seat. Oh yes welcome to the FGMCC vortech540

------------------

My 1970 Monte Restore Pages

site1100.jpg

logo_org_pub.gifLLOYD@FIRSTGENERATIONMONTECARLO.COM logo_org_pub.gif

• 1 month later...

The vinyl seat covers my car has are the exact same pattern as the nylon/cloth pattern. All the other vinyl seat covers for the 70 are different looking. Has anyone else ever seen that?

built March 1970 Flint

I've had it since March 1980

Bob

------------------

1944 GPW Army Jeep

1964 Buick Riviera- For Sale

1970 Monte Carlo

bobhansen1.jpg