New water pump going in this week.

Onetech

Had a nasty vibration come and go the last couple weeks and finally the water pump bearing gave out and leaked fluid on the floor today.  Got the old water pump and fan assembly out but can't get the fan to separate from the hub.  I removed the 4 bolts holding the fan to the belt housing? unit and it seems that the fan is press fitted to the main water pump shaft? Or did someone use a heavy duty bonding agent to hold the water pump to the belt housing.  I don't want to damage the fan unit, so a little advice would help.  Thanks in advance.  I have a 1970 Monte with the standard 350 v8.  I can see that the water pump and the fan have 1\4" plates that sandwich the belt housing and the holes are aligned.  If we need pictures, I can take some time tomorrow and post them.

Ron

It's been a while since I last posted, but life got the better of me when my company shut down on us unexpectedly on April 27th and I was unemployed for 8 weeks while looking for a new job.  First time in 29 straight years I ever had to face unemployment and the prospect of having to sell my car.  But all worked out, and I am once again teaching, this time it's industrial maintenance technicians instead of PC repair technicians.

One thing I have done in the past on this type of problem is to take a torch propane or acetylene and put some heat on the shaft and they usually will come apart.

I did mine a couple months ago and didn't have any trouble, it must just be rusted on. Try some wd40 or pb blaster a little heat may help be careful it don't flair up and burn you. Use a new water pump not a remain an put some never seize on it when going back together.

PB blaster, wide blade putty knife, pair of screw drivers, and a hammer finally coaxed the fan off the pully shaft.  No rust in there, just an extremely tight fit.  The new water pump slid right into the fan with very nice fit.  So far, no leaks, an nice smooth flow of coolant through the radiator, and no more terrible sounds from the bad bearing.