another 70 load leveler question - MIA on a real 70

Aaronz28

i'm looking at buying a real 70 SS -  i've been able to verify everything except that its missing the load leveler system.

The seller says it was removed - i've asked for photos of where the valve was mounted on the rear control arm, and of the frame brackets for the air lines - 

assuming evidence that the system was removed - what (if any) parts are readily available?
and any leads on who has parts - or is it just a 'eBay search' for the rest of my life kinda thing?

Thanks

Aaron, you can probably find all the original load level parts you need to complete your SS right here among the FGMCC members.

It is far more common for '70 & '71 SS Montes to be missing the compressor (and mounting brackets) than to find a complete system still installed.  I'm sure the guys who either have or make the rare parts will all chime in but you should check with the following FGMCC members: lastss, KLASSIK1, overdrive, Jared Richey, 71ss454 * (Larry).  I doubt that you will find much on eBay but you might also check with LostnFound (Larry), our club scrounger, who regularly searches Craigslist nationwide for all things Monte.

You should be able to find an original or rebuilt compressor pretty easy, but original brackets are scarce as hen's teeth.  Fortunately, both overdrive (Dan) and 71ss454 * (Larry) make high quality replacements.  Dan also makes filters and some valve linkage parts.

If you need the frame-mounted valve, they also surface from time to time so check around.  The valve is tucked up on a frame member in front of the rear axle and just to the left of the passenger side lower control arm.  The linkage to operate the valve actually connects to the control arm (see first photo).  If the valve is missing, it will look like the second photo.  If your Monte is/was a true SS, it would be very unusual if all of the small black air lines were removed so check to see if they are still there.  The air shocks may well be gone, as well as, the shock guards.   You can easily buy equivalent air shocks, although a few NOS sets have surfaced.  Someone is now making replacement shock guards but I can't remember who.

post-567-0-23486600-1444682534_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-92272400-1444682589_thumb.jpg

I have managed to complete my load level system by patiently shopping for a refurbished compressor and an original set of brackets (see third photo).  In the meantime, I made a functional set of brackets from aluminum and used them on my SS for two years until I finally found some original brackets (see fourth photo).  I've made several sets of those brackets for other members and have a freshly made set available if you are ever interested.  

post-567-0-63481400-1444683172_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-35650200-1444682874_thumb.jpg

If you are patient, you can probably put an entire original or original-looking system together for your SS.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, Dennis.

Hi, Aaron. The valves are still available from the original equipment manufacturer for a reasonable price.

The compressors can be found, but finding one that works can be pretty tough to do. Many guys just want the system installed for the look and don't care if it works automatically.

I've been making and selling the compressor brackets and the rest of the parts needed for the system, including the air inlet filters. I make the shock protectors too, but originals aren't too hard to find, usually.

You can send me a PM and I can help find the parts, if you'd like.

Dan

post-339-0-62480200-1444706945_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-10388600-1444707010_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-95246200-1444707042_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-99660300-1444707145_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-99301200-1444707196_thumb.jpg

Aaron, I have many documents and diagrams of this system. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send them off to you if you like.

Club member Bob Lyman (lastSS) restores the compressors beautifully and I think he may have one for sale currently.

Dan's other components are nicely done and look original.

The air line hose is black and you should be able to get it at a local parts store.

The G67 load leveling system wasn't the most reliable system on these cars back in the day when they were daily drivers so the system was often removed and regular shocks were installed. But as classic cars that aren't driven in the winter, the system is much more reliable I believe. I've only started to restore my system and it is not fully functional yet. Like Dennis mentioned, your original air lines may still be there or at least partially.

• 2 months later...

hello dan, could you give me the info for the valve assy and where to get one.the shaft seal was bad on mine. or can i get a rebuild kit wit the orings ?

i am also looking for the line clips 8 of them part #3919070 or 2340331 the  same clips.

thanks joseph

Joseph, Dayton Air Products is the original manufacturer, and they still make the valves, #K870007. They may also have rebuild kits, but the valves are reasonably priced.

I don't know where to find the clips.

Dan

dan,

those clips are the ones that go by the rear air shocks from the valve to the shocks. the clips i'm looking for look look like a c.wich go from the comp. to the rear valve. thanks joe.