Repainting Rallys...

I have sandblasted a rally that was pretty rusted up... Now it has the great freshly blasted looked... I was wondering should I put a couple of caots of primer on the rims before painting it in the final color??? And where do I get the rally color again (spray can prefered)?? I know that I have seen it somewhere posted on here before...

------------------

My Monte Web Page

I know that Ecklers (Corvette parts seller) sells spray cans of the colour. Primer should be used, gives the paint a good surface the adhere on ( as well, rims won't rust with the first chip.

Pieter

Anytime you are working with bare metal you should try to use an epoxy primer or a self-etching primer. I do not see them very often in spray cans but I think eastwood company sells the stuff in cans. If you use a cheap spray can primer or lacquer primer moisture can permeate the primer and start from the inside out, not to mention the durability of scratching and such. If you do not want to use a spray gun, you will limit your options. The paint in a spray can should be no problem. As I learned early on preparation is about 90% of the battle. If you take the time to prep the wheels you wont be re-blasting them anytime soon. Hope this helps.

Clever1, Not all Chevy rallys were painted the same shade of "silver". However, I have no info to believe that 1st Gens had different shades. There is a tint of green in the "silver" color. I simply sanded both sides, painted both sides a gray primer, used gloss black on back side, used a "close silver" on front side and clear coated both sides. This was done to two sets of rallys with spray cans. Preparation is the key. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 in process Super Dark Green/346LS1/4L60E

hey i just ordered my ralley wheel paint from original parts group, it is the paint they used back in the day for our cars, and i am happy w. the color that it came out to be mskes it look good

------------------

1969 Camaro RS SS

1971 Monte Carlo

How many cans do you order to cover 4 rims. The back of the rims could be done in a regular silver since I'm sure the OPG paint is expensive. What do you recommend.

------------------

Aaron Dodsworth

Langley, BC Canada

Misty turquoise 1970 Monte Carlo

73,000 miles

My Monte Carlo Web Site

Aaron,

Why not just buy 1 can, and have your paint shop match the colour?

BTW, I checked with Ecklers, 1 can of rally wheel paint costs 6.95$ US. Not too bad. I've paid 15$ for a can of "Cast Blast" cast iron coloured paint. The price tripled for it overnight. Looks pretty sharp on pices of the car that weren't supposed to be painted.

Pieter

i paid 11 bucks a can, and bought 3 to do all 4 wheels they guy said i can get 2 -3 good coats on, i am only planing on doing the front at this moment i will buy 3 more later around october ish.

Thomas

------------------

1969 Camaro RS SS

1971 Monte Carlo

Yea, it was a Duplicolor aluminum that I used on the first set. Used regular aluminum/silver on the other set. You can tell the difference when wheels are side by side, so I never do that. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 in process Super Dark Green/346LS1/4L60E

Just purchased 4 cans of Rally Paint from Ecklers.. Now I just have to get some of the Good primer and put a few coats on it... Thankx all... I expecting this rim to look awesome... Probably make me want to do all of them....

Come on guys. This is easy stuff. The paint is Krylon. Dull Aluminum #1403. Look in the phone book for a paint supplier who sells Sherwin Williams paint for houses. Home depot used to carry it but does not any more. The cost is about $2.50 a can. Try the Internet for a dealer near you. Also the paint with the green tint is also available. The right color is Argent Silver.

I recieved my paint from Ecklers last night... It was funny to see what reminded me of the Genric labels on the cans of paint... Looking further I noticed that the label was just taped to the can... When I removed the Label the remainder of the original label was still glued to the can (although I was unable to get any useful information from the paper)... So it seems that Ecklers just purchases the paint, relabels it, and marks the price up... I will assume that the other posts in this thread are coorect in that it can be purchased at a local store... I think that I will try to find the color mentioned and compare the numbers on the bottom of the can... I plan to paint the rim with an Expoy primer first and then use the high priced paint that I bought....

When I get home today I will post the numbers that are on the bottom of the can... I looked in the paint department and the auto department @ Walmart yesterday for an Expoxy Primer but I didn't find any... I went ahead an purchased the gray primer that they had in the auto department I know that I will be able to use it later even if I don't use it on the rims... Where can I find this Expoxy Primer and is it mark as Expoxy Primer...

These numbers are on the bottom of the Rally pint can...

E142-L2-B02-0000980032

Not sure if we can tell who really makes it by those numbers, but if we can then it will for sure make on of theose information pieces that we need to mantain on the web page somewhere...

The epoxy primer I use is purchased at an Auto body supply store. I buy it by the gallon normally but it can be bought smaller quantity if you choose. I dont know if you can get it in a spray can at auto body supply stores but you could call around before driving around. I know the eastwood company has them but I am not sure how long you want to wait. If you sandblasted them I assume you have access to a compressor. You can buy a cheap spray gun for around 30 - 40 bucks and can spray primer and paint with it. A few words of advice though even when using spray cans, buy a respirator and try to spray with very good ventilation, the chemicals in primers and paints are very harmful.

Mike D.