Unscrewing the lock

Gavin

Originally posted by Gavin:

How does the lock on the glovecompartment come off? There's no screw or anything. Can't figure it out

The lock cylinder has to come out the front of the glove box door. Open the glove box doorand push the latch to the closed position. Lock the lock with the key. In front of the base of the lock on the inside of the door, you will see a small half round cut out in the plastic. Ahead of this in the base of the lock will be a square hole. Inside this hole is a spring loaded tab. You need to push this tab in as you carefully pry the lock out the front of the door. It will move a bit and another tab will show up. There are 5 tabs in all. You need to push and pry each one. When the lock is out of the glove box door, the part left on the outside of the door unscrews from the housing left on the inside of the door. It takes longer to explain than to do.

------------------

Steve

Monte, you da man! Thanks a lot! I did as you said and presto, it got out. But damn, if you don't know what to do you'll be puzzled for weeks. Anywayz, thanks again!

Gav

I've been trying to figure that thing out for a year now. Mine is all loose and rattles a little. I'm going to fix it tomorrow. Thanx.

------------------

Aaron Dodsworth

Langley, BC Canada

1970 Monte Carlo

Aaron's Monte Carlo Web Site 07_26dodsww.jpg

Originally posted by Canuck:

I've been trying to figure that thing out for a year now. Mine is all loose and rattles a little. I'm going to fix it tomorrow. Thanx.

Someone at GM had way too much time on his hands while designing this lock. It may be the most complicated piece on the car.

------------------

Steve

Just another example of the amazing information that one can learn on FGMC... This is another post that I would like to see added to a database of information...

------------------

My Monte Web Page

\|/ ____* \|/

"@' / ' ' \ '@"

/_| \___/ |_\

....\__U_/...