to Carl Hanson and others about welding

Is this welder good enough to weld an entire top from one monte onto another, including the pillars? check out www.homedepot.com and go to TOOLS, then WELDING AND SOLDERING, then WIRE FEEDING WELDER then click on the orange text describing the item and you can see a larger pic and some stats on it. It says install K610-1 to upgrade to MIG, and they stock it, it costs 97.00 extra. Here are the stats on it, let me know what you think:

Lincoln Electric Weld-Pak™ 100 HD Combination Wire-Feeder/Welder and Accessories

Model K2189-1

For any light steel applications around your home, farm or hobby shop Simply load your spool of wire, press the trigger and weld 30-100 amps output for welding up to 1/4" mild steel using flux-cored wire Plugs into 115V outlet Safety feature keeps welding wire electrically cold until gun trigger is pressed Compact, portable, lightweight and easy to use Install K610-1 to easily upgrade the Weld-Pak 100 HD for MIG welding Install K610-1 and K664-2 to MIG weld aluminum Procedure chart inside wire feed section door makes setting the 100 HD a snap! Fan-cooled for long life expectancy Three year warranty on parts and labor Made in U.S.A.

Sell Pack Description:

Each

Sell Pack Ship Weight:

816 oz.

Sell Pack Length:

19"

Sell Pack Width:

14.875"

Sell Pack Height:

15"

Sell Pack Cubic Size:

4239.375 in.³

Does Product Nest?

No

Sell Freight Class:

Welding Capacities:

24 gauge to 1/4"

Use:

light gauge material

Power Requirement:

115V 60HZ 20AMPS

Rated DC Output:

88 amps, 18V @ 20% duty cycle

Output Range Low:

30 amps

Output Range High:

100 amps

Processes:

Innershield, MIG

Flux-cored Self Shielded Wire Utilized:

.035" Innershield NR-211-MP wire

Flux-cored Gas Shielded:

.023" to .030" solid steel MIG wire

Width:

10"

Length:

17"

Depth:

12"

Manufacturer:

Lincoln Electric

SKU #:

UPC #:

[This message has been edited by Kevin Wiles (edited 11-06-2002).]

That is the welder I have and we used it to install the roll cage in the Olds, so i would think it would do for welding sheetmetal. I would say get the conversion kit to do gas welding. The flux core is a pain to use and if you are tacking stuff to have someone else finish welding it for you, it makes it hard for them to weld over as it is not as clean of a weld as the gas weld.

Ian

------------------

frontshot1.jpg

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html

Get the gas, I have used wire feed both ways and the gas makes all the difference in the world. If you are welding something really heavy it won't matter but for thin sheet metal the gas is a must.

Ben

Kevin,

I have a 90 amp Craftsman (Century) MIG welder It came ready for gas, meaning I had to buy the tank of argon elsewhere for $99.

The one your looking at, has a conversion kit available as you said. I have not seen or used one with a "coversion kit" myself. The one I have can be used with or without gas just the way it came. I guess what I am saying is, compare it to one that you don't need to buy & install a kit. Also if you are going to be in town the day after the Thanksgiving day Lions game (Friday) I may be in South East Michigan that day, maybe we could hook up.

Bob

------------------

1944 GPW Army Jeep

1964 Buick Riviera- For Sale

1970 Monte Carlo

bobhansen1.jpg

yep thats the same welder i bought to do somein welding on my dads 57 nomad it runs very hot and keep blowin holes in the panels. so we took it to work and took the companys miller which dont brun holes in the panels. so far the only probably we have ranned into with the lincoln weld pak 100 is that it needs a 20 amp breaker 15amp breaks blow.

------------------

robert

"if u didnt build it, it aints yours until u build it."

dsc_255.bmp?bc3Fki9AwwKycMOh

I have a lincoln 125 and it works exceptionally well. The main difference is that the 125 has an infinantly adjustable amperage and wire speed controls which i was told is much better for sheet metal work because it can be more precisely tuned. Good luck and btw lincoln is suposed to be a really good brand.

When welding sheet metal tack things together well first aligning it as you go. Then if you can put a wet rag behind the area you are working on and make short passes maybe about 1/2" long (test this procedure). Leave the wet rag behind while grinding. This procedure will help keep warpage down to a minimum.