NEED HELP!!

Gavin

Yeah yeah, its about taking the dash off again. Sorry bout that. I'm halfway there but I wonder about some things. Should I also remove the weld nut above the steering column (see picture below)? It seems as if that's the only place the dash is still attached, but maybe I'm missing something. And is it necessary to drop the steering column to remove the dash?

Gav

Oh yeah, I got a '71

dash.jpg

[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited 09-19-2002).]

You have take out the 2 bolts and drop the stearing column to get to the bolts located above it for removing the dash. If you have a column shift, then there is a cable attaching the shifter to the indicator in the speedo.

------------------

George Lines

Gavin,

I thought I'd commented on dropping the steering column with the first email I sent, but maybe I just though about it and the though never made it to my fingers. If you need pics showing the routing of the cable he mentions, lemme know and I'll see if my manuals illistrate such.

Yeah, you mentioned dropping the column Sindawe. I know it must seem like I'm asking all kinds of stupid questions, but that has two reasons.

1) My native tongue is not English, but Dutch so I don't always understand what people are saying.

2) I kinda not know a lot about cars.

So, here's the question:

What does dropping mean? Like lowering the column, or removing it? Sindawe, can you send me an illustration of the steering column? I'm afraid I might do something wrong and not being able to fix it.

And no, I don't have the column shift, pfeeeeww :-)

Gav

What does dropping mean? Like lowering the column, or removing it? Sindawe, can you send me an illustration of the steering column? I'm afraid I might do something wrong and not being able to fix it.

If you have the cover below the steering column off, there are 2 good size nuts holding the column to the dash, then the dash slips over a hook if I remember right.

Ian

------------------

frontshot1.jpg

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/iann/monte.html

[This message has been edited by iann128 (edited 08-25-2002).]

So, here's the question:

Dropping means unbolting it and letting it hang down as far as it will go. You don't need to remove it. You should not have to worry about hurting anything as it should just rest on the seat. If you have removed the seat, just put something under it to let it rest on.

And no, I don't have the column shift, pfeeeeww :-)

Gav[/b]

I did everything as you guys told me to, and yes, the dash came off. But not totally, I can't figure out how the knobs for the washer and the climatecontrol(?) come off. Should I just yank them off, of do they have some hidden screw?

And oh, I didn't think it was that hard getting the dash off. Just lowered the column, took out the screws and Bob's your uncle. But I haven't gotten to the electrical part. That may be tricky (hope not)...

Gav

The washer switch does not pull out. Reach back and unplug it. It is held in by small screws I think two of them. The climated controls are the same way. There are two screws on top and some below. Be very careful the plastic is brittle and breaks/strips out easily.

Gavin...

I am happy that you are a few steps a head of me in the disassembly of your Monte as I have been reading all of your posts and they have helped me with my project...

Thankx for asking...

WOOHOO! THE DASH IS OFF!

It took me some time, but finally managed. And all on my own. I could have used some help, but it can be done alone. The climatecontrol i screwed oof before taking of the dash. I just couldn't figure out how to take it off attached to the dash. Anywayz, I did it. The fun starts now!

Gav

PS: Clever1 - I hope you're there too :-)