A/C Repairs

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Hey all,

I had taken my 72 Monte in for A/C repair early this week.  Almost 9 years and has never worked properly.  I knew the compressor pump was throwing a fairly fine sheen of oil onto the under hood and inner fender on drivers side.  The high speed blower motor fan wasn't working, and there is a leak somewhere in the system.

Just talked with the repair shop and he suggested that:

1)  Replace A/C Compressor - (he has access to a off brand (New) and OEM (New) Compressor & I told him to get the OEM Pump.  The High Speed Fan resistor wouldn't work and he could not find anywhere he could get a replacement.  (Anyone off the top of their head have any suggestions)?   So, he cleaned up all the contacts, plugged wires back in and much better although not at the velocity he was anticipating.  Everything else appeared to be okay but he also suggested since we are into it, why not replace the Expansion Valve / Receiver Dryer.  Off the top of your head, any ideas who I might get these from if both items become problematic for him to find?

I let him know I was in no hurry, so he is going to order the OEM Pump and expects to have car done sometime next week.  If he or I locates the other 2 items, they will be installed also.

Thanx for your help................. :)

Doug

Ebay has the blower mtr  resistor but the High speed only has a separate wire & it is next to the wire loom plastic raceway & fused, Evap & dryer are cheap new at advance $20 for dryer & 30 for valve.

After posting, went on eBAY and found that High Speed Relay & the other 2 items mentioned.  eBay Ad says it is correct but until I can verify, no hurry.  Not sure why he could not find it through local auto parts distributors.

My hope was to locate the item(s) he recommended changing & so far looks like they have all been located.  Wasn't real certain on availability / rarity as I have not done much in the way of researching the A/C until now.  Now, a little wiser & a little older.............. :whistle:

Doug

I went with an S6 new aftermarket compressor. It is a direct bolt on replacement and set up for R134. I had a rebuilt A6 compressor in fact I went thru 3 before getting one that only lasted 3 years. I am very satisfied with the new compressor but I am having a problem getting the high velocity to work also. No one has every found out why it does not go to maximum but it just takes it a little longer to cool off the hot interior but it does get cool enough that I have to turn it down for Glendia before she gets testy.

I believe the high speed has a fuse. Its in the big wire that sits right on top of the evaporator box under the hood.

I got my condenser at the Parts Place and my Dryer came from NAPA. It may not be OEM but it looks nice and close to OEM works well and my Show Panel covers it anyway.