Speedometer noise

Grapejuice1998

Howdy y'all, Alan here from Dallas, TX.

I recently bought a 1970 Monte Carlo SS 454. I love driving the car, but the speedometer cable chirps and it's driving me crazy. I have quite a bit of automotive knowledge, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get to the back of the speedometer. I removed the lower inspection plate and found that I can touch the back of the clock, or the tach, but the speedometer seems to be captured inside of some sort of shield. I even lowered the column, hoping that would be the key. No love., What am I missing here?

TIA!

The speedometer cable is held in place with some type of retainer clip.  I think using a screw driver, you would release cable.  I remember reading a thread where someone explained how but been awhile back.  If I'm no help, someone will answer your question.

Doug

To get my speedometer cable off of the speedometer I had to loosen my dash but I was also replacing all of my bulbs with LED's. If you get the dash pad off you might be able to get to it from the top side.

I've gotten to the back of mine by removing the dash pad and loosening the dash itself, moving it forward. I have been able to lower the steering column onto a jackstand, then pull the dash slightly forward and rest it on the column, making it easy to get to the speedo cable at the rear of the speedo. If you have small hands and are a contortionist you may be able to get to it without loosening the dash. I have had my dash in and out so many times it has become fairly routine, i'm sorry to admit.

It sounds like you want to lubricate the cable, and it will be tough to get the little tool in there to lubricate it without moving the dash forward. Good luck!

I ended up toughing it out and laying under the dash (I have 2 healing broken ribs). I reached into the nether regions of the dash and found the release and I have the scars to prove it, but then again, what's working on a car worth if you don't bleed a little? The cable is lubed, that hideous noise is gone and I'm on to the next janky thing this car needs to have fixed.

Btw, sorry I didn't do an intro first. I was on a limited time schedule and had to try and get this done asap. Anyway, thanks!