SS 454 fuel pump p/n?

Grapejuice1998

I looked around and didn't find the answer (does search work on ANY of these BB's? lol), so here goes.

My '70 SS had a single inlet/small bowl pump on it when  got it. I am now trying to convert it back to the dual line, large bowl setup. I have everything in place, but my fuel pump actuating lever is about a half inch too short on the new pump. Can someone please give me the right p/n for the pump?

2iqzo5i.jpg

Thanks!

Alan

Alan, I had to replace the fuel pump on my '70 SS454 two summers ago.

My memory isn't so good anymore, but I know the replacement part number that Advance Auto showed me first was a single line short style. I took in photos of my original (see photo below) and they visually matched it to a part number for a 454 truck application.

When I put it on, it looked exactly the same and fit perfectly, including the existing actuator rod, but I remember the instructions were very specific about holding the rod in place (with a strip of removable tape, I believe) while the pump flange was fitted to the block and bolted up.

Just looking at your photo, I can also see that those two pumps have different length actuator levers. I'm not sure you have the correct pump yet but I am not in MN until May so I can't give you the PN off the box of the replacement pump that worked for me. Maybe you could check with NAPA or another parts company to see what they specify as a replacement.

Old fuel pump:post-567-0-81612000-1458247059_thumb.jpg New fuel pump: post-567-0-94575200-1458248392_thumb.jpg

When I put it on, it looked exactly the same and fit perfectly, including the existing actuator rod, but I remember the instructions were very specific about holding the rod in place (with a strip of removable tape, I believe) while the pump flange was fitted to the block and bolted up.

Mine has a bolt hole under the pin, so I can push the pin all the way up and insert the pump. There isn't any good way to tape it up that I can see,

Like I said, it has a bolt hole just under the pin. In fact, you can completely remove the pin through the hole. In any case, the pump that Dan posted, worked just fine. I only wish it had been the cure for the bog I'm having.

What carb is everyone running on their stock-ish 454? Mines a QJ and I would like to keep it, so I plan to build it next week and see, but I have been advised to junk it and run an Edelbrock.

Alan, after I installed a 750 AED on my 402, I had both a 650 and 750 Edlebrock sitting in dry dock.

I asked my Pro Stock racer friend, Jimmy Alund, if either would be a good replacement for the tired Q-jet on my SS454 but he was adamant that the original Q-jet was a better carb and flowed more CFM (825-850).

Instead, he recommended a rebuild kit for the Q-jet so I plan to do that this summer.

The Quadrajet is a great carburetor to rebuild. For some reason, many people that don't know much about them love to trash talk them. I have a nice one that was rebuilt by Holley.

Dan

With the fuel pump installed on my 454, the plug to access the pump push rod would be very hard to reinstall. Using a hack saw blade to hold the rod up while positioning the pump has worked great for me many times.

Dan

My pump went in easily. The pin plug was a little tight to fit and start, but I managed.

I finally figured out the bog though. The prior owner had a glass filter inline from the pump to the carb. I replaced that with just a single 3/8" rubber hose and viola! It pulls through without a bog now!

Now for a much needed tune-up.

And btw, I like the QJ carb too. They get the best mileage, while also delivering max performance. I'm glad I didn't need to replace/rebuild it.

Thanks Y'all!

I think there's a chance that whoever put that filter there removed the one at the inlet of the carburetor. It's common to remove the original filter for the same reason you took out the glass one. Was the one you removed for a 5/16 line? You'll want a 3/8 inch fuel filter somewhere.

Dan