Power window motor?

Grapejuice1998

Looks like my drivers side power window motor decided to retire today. I did a little trouble shooting and checking, so I know for sure the motor is getting power from the switch. My question is, are these readily available anywhere and/or is there someone who rebuilds them? I really want to get this fixed as quickly as possible though, as it's definitely windows down temperature here in Dallas right now.

242vclc.jpg

Thanks!

I've had pretty good luck just taking the motors apart and cleaning them.  I've found that the grease in the motors gets really thick over the years and I always replace it with new grease.  It always helps to clean the brushes and armature also.

You may also want to check that you are getting a full 12 volts at the motor.  I've had a switch that had a corroded connection inside and was not supplying the full charge at the motor.

Just some ideas.  I have 4 cars with power windows (3 Montes and 1 El Camino) and I never had to purchase a new motor.

Good luck!!

Mike

• Like 2

I've had pretty good luck just taking the motors apart and cleaning them.  I've found that the grease in the motors gets really thick over the years and I always replace it with new grease.  It always helps to clean the brushes and armature also.

You may also want to check that you are getting a full 12 volts at the motor.  I've had a switch that had a corroded connection inside and was not supplying the full charge at the motor.

Just some ideas.  I have 4 cars with power windows (3 Montes and 1 El Camino) and I never had to purchase a new motor.

Good luck!!

Mike

Some very good suggestions there!!!

rob

Alan, I share Mike's skepticism that your power window motor is actually dead.  When I first got my '70 SS, the factory power windows wouldn't operate unless the engine was revved way up, strongly suggesting that the motors were not getting adequate power.  I removed and refurbished all the switches, greased the tracks and they've worked fine ever since.  Note that I did not have to remove or rebuild any motors in that case.

When I added factory power windows to my other '70, I knew I'd better refurbish everything before I installed it so I completely reworked the switches and all connectors.  I also continuity checked the entire wiring harness end-to-end and removed the motors so I could clean and re-grease the gear boxes as Mike has also suggested.  That system has worked fine ever since I installed it about four years ago.

I made a photo journal on Photobucket of that project so it might give you some ideas if you are interested.  You can find it at this link: Refurbishing Power Window Regulators and Switches

• Like 2