RESTORERS - Build Sheets

Assuming you have loked in all of the usual suspect places (under and behind all seats, on top of gas tank [hear of, never seen]), your guess is as good as mine. BUT, if you happen to find out, I've got a pile of people who would like to know. Also, feel ire toward the Pontiac folks - they've got some sort of warehouse for that stuff - they just call and receive. Someone at GM was looking out for them, why not us?

------------------

I have seen them shoved inside the rear spring and also inside the doors. Hope this helps. The most common place is under or behind the rear seat.

Rob

Fred,

I found mine in about the same location. It was under the sound deadner, just to the right of the transmission hump, in the passenger side floorboard. It also was hard to read, I guess all the heat from the exhaust over the years kinda softened the tar in the sound deadner. I showed it to a friend of mine, he told me to take a rag soaked in kerosene and it would remove the tar from it, and IT DID!!! You can read it very well now, except for the top left hand corner, which was folded over and then sprayed with the glue to hold the sound deadner. BTW, mine is a '70 built in Baltimore.

In my 72 I found one under the back seat and one folded and hanging from the springs under the passenger side bucket.

In my 70 I found one under the backseat, but the top left corner was torn (I can read the date it was built but not which number built that day)

So I was really happy to find one behind the plastic shell (on the backrest) recently, while getting them ready to recover,until I looked at it..... it was for a 70 SS.

When I compared it to mine I found they were both built on the same day and about 10 cars apart in production sequence.

So if you have a red 70 SS with black top and black bucket interior, and no air, originally purchased in Georgia........I want my seats back!!!

------------------

Dave C.

70 402 4spd Monte Carlo

72 350 Monte Carlo

69 427 Corvette roadster

86 Grand National

96 Impala SS

Wow sounds like the scavenger hunt is on. I was hoping I could just call a magic number at Chevy, like for the resto kit and get what I wanted. Sounds like I was dreaming again. Thanks for the response.

I've heard that build sheets were also found on top of the gas tank.

The search for my build sheet continues (it's not hanging under the seets or under the carpet).

I find it interesting that a few of you found it in the seat back plastic - hmmmm. Ours is in good shape, but if there's one there, it would be nice to have one intact still in the car.

------------------

Charles and Celeste

I recently had my 70 re-upholstered and I found one under the springs of the front bench as well as under the springs in the back seat. I was able to piece quite a bit of it together but not 100%. eek.gif

I found one that was pretty much gone from being 30 years old. It was under my passenger side bucket seat.

Also, I have reason to believe there is one on the top of my gas tank. I have tried to pull this paper like thing out from on top of the gas tank but it just wrips. I don't think I want to drop my gas tank just to get to it........Guess I'm lazy?

• 4 weeks later...

I found one in the back of the drivers seat and also one above the gas tank. It was in better condition than the one behind the seat except for the corner where they stuck it under the anti squeak straps. Now I have a complete build sheet!!!! smile.gif

This post is very coincedental because last night I spent 1 hour on my 70 trying to find my build sheet on it. Its not under any of the seats or in the door panels. I changed the carpet about 5 years ago and didnt see it then. I really want this thing bad......I think i'll pull my gas tank.cross your fingers

I also heard that if you know the original owner of the car you can find out the dealership it was purchased from and they may have documented info on it. just a rumor I've heard.

Kevin, I used to work for a Chevy dealer and they do keep info on the cars they sell. Thing is every dealer has their own way of keeping and or storeing records. It's not entirely possible they would have info but then they might. It's worth a try. It supprises me that GM does'nt keep build sheets some where on all the cars they've built. I bet they do in a large archive somewhere. Wonder if it would be worth the try to call that resto number and ask them.

Come to think of it, my build sheet tells me what dealer it was purchased at. It was at Lew Williams Chev, Inc. in Corpus Christi, Tx . I think I am going to try and see if they are still in business, and see if they have a copy of the original purchase order form for my car. That would be awesome!

Wish me luck.

When I replaced the carpet in my '72, I found the sheet under the driver's seat tucked under the carpet. It was brittle and discolored, but entirely readable.

When I replaced the carpet in my '72, I found the sheet under the driver's seat tucked under the carpet. It was brittle and discolored, but entirely readable.

When looking for the build sheet over the gas tank: Is it visable without taking off the tank or can i put my fingers on it........or would i have to take it off to be completely sure.. i'm about to have to give up on finding my build sheet frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

PS. i want it baaaaaad.......

Kevin,did you look behind the back seat? I found mine under the rear bench seat on my 72 but it might be behind the back seat. when you took the rear seat out , did you look up under the bench seat in the spring area? My 70 build sheet is gone though,could'nt find it either. How about the headliner? Naaa just kiddin. would'nt supprise me though.did you take the rear armrests and panels off? I've never heard of any there but if they'd put one over a gas tank you never know.

Kevin, it would be very difficult to see the build sheet on top of the gas tank with it still in the car. The corner of my build sheet was under the anti-squeak padding. In fact, I had to cut the padding off the tank in order to safely remove the build sheet. Hope this helps, just take it off. Just do it!!!! lol. I am not going to lie and say it was easy, because it wasn't. I couldn't get the bolts loose, they were rusted shut. I used "rust off" and it still wouldn't budge. I ended up having to cut the bolts with my cutter. It was nerve racking because all those sparks could've hit the very frayed gas lines and cought fire. Luckily, it didn't. Good luck, keep us informed! Good luck!

Kevin,

Where was you Monte built? My 70 was built in Baltimore, the seat had been recovered when purchased it. I looked in most of the places for my build sheet, no luck! frown.gif when I started my restoration I gutted the interior, everything! The carpet was shot, almost 30 years old, still no build sheet. I decided to replace the sound deadner under the carpet, guess what I found, my biuld sheet! smile.gif It was under the sound deadner on the passenger side front floor board. When I found it, it was very hard to read, 30 years of tar & heat from the exhaust. I soaked it in kerosene and today it is very readable. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif just another place you might want to check.

i never found my build sheet! my friends grandmother owned the car and she was old when she bought it, and never touched the car. i replaced the back seat and carpet and nothing. oh well

------------------

please restore em' and not crush em'