72 Cutlass Trans fit 72 Monte ok?

Mike Brichta

buick is part of gm so i would say yes most definately it will fit. just check the trans pan and see if it is a 350 or 400 and see if it is the same as yours if so your good if not then you may need to move some stuff around "trans cross member, trans detent cable for the electric switch (this is only if you are switching to a th-400 trans) to figure out which one you have just look at the trans pan and see if it looks like a square with a notch out on one corner "th-350" or if it looks like the state of texas then its a th-400.

alex

I believe the bell housing are different between a chevy block and a B.O.P. block (buick,olds,pontiac)so it won't bolt up to the block,unless of ourse the cutlass was running a chevy block.

Jim

In the 70's there was a universal bolt pattern 350 trans that was designed to fit both. I have only seen two. I don't know why they were made. I have one in a 72 monte. I don't know if it was a replacement or not. I do know its quite handy. Dan

The 72 Olds transmission is now sold, so I have to keep looking. I found one about 1 hour from my house, but it has a long tailshaft on it, out of a 72 Chevy Truck with a 350. My question is: How hard is it to switch the tailshaft back to a short one? I have all of the parts from my old burnt up trans, so I'm hoping I could use those parts for the switch. What do "the experts" think? WIll it work?

Thanks,

Mike

going to a short nose will require replacing the rear shaft in the trans to the short shaft. you would be better off just switching the drive shaft for the one you need... "of which (driveshaft) i have one that will work for ya 50 bucks and shipping and its yours. If you plan on switching the rear shaft then take notes of end play and for and aft movement then shim it in appropriatly. or just take it to a trans shop for them to do

alex

i would reccomend having your old trans rebuilt.. unless you grenaded it :P ~

otherwise, find a direct swap.. it's the least headaches.. and these guys are right.. the chevy and BOP bellhousings are diff.. there are universal pattern cases, IIRc those came around late into the TH350's run.. Gm trying to reduce costs by only manufacturing one case.

if you have a TH350 don't scrap it.. they're becoming rare thanks to trans. shops buyign them up and recycling them for scrap metal.