Upper and lower control arms

As most know I am replacing the stock springs with Viking coil overs. Well I have the driver side off and the holes needed drilled and after removing the bolt for the lower control arm the bushing doesn't look to good. Since I am This far already would it be worth it to replace the control arms? I won't be doing and drag racing or anything, just street driving. Would I notice any changes or would it be a waste of money? Should I just replace the bushings?

Do you now have a rear anti-sway bar?

Do you want to add one?

Do the new replacement bars handle a rear anti-sway bar? Stock, aftermarket or both?

I don't care for most things aftermarket but they look simple enough.

I added a stock RAS bar to my 71 in 1972 and didn't "BOX" them till about 1990 when I was told I must box them or they would be ruined. (didn't harm them at all but I did box them) Perhaps it was because I only bolted the bar to the inside not through to the other side, where it then would have been crushed.

IMO I would paint them black.

Good luck,

Bruce

• Like 1

Do you now have a rear anti-sway bar?

Do you want to add one?

Do the new replacement bars handle a rear anti-sway bar? Stock, aftermarket or both?

I don't care for most things aftermarket but they look simple enough.

I added a stock RAS bar to my 71 in 1972 and didn't "BOX" them till about 1990 when I was told I must box them or they would be ruined. (didn't harm them at all but I did box them) Perhaps it was because I only bolted the bar to the inside not through to the other side, where it then would have been crushed.

IMO I would paint them black.

Good luck,

Bruce

Yes it does have a sway bar and the boxed arms look like it accepts a sway bar. I figure if I am doing this I might as well do it right.

Glen, those are a nice upgrade, when I got mine they were black. With the coil-over upgrade your starting, just do it right and be done with it!

• Like 1

Glen, those are a nice upgrade, when I got mine they were black. With the coil-over upgrade your starting, just do it right and be done with it!

the upper stock look good so I don't think I will change those out but I am definetly changing the lowers. Did you do the Viking shocks? If you did how did you get the 2 top bolts you drilled holes for in? There sure isn't much room to get the bolts in there.

FYI , The Viking shocks with aftermarket control arms you may have to grind a bit of the bolt head that the bottom of the shock mounts to. . It wasn't bad but I found out the hard way. Here are a couple of pictures  

post-44-0-51843100-1465708784_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-86500000-1465708796_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-33465600-1465708816_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-02206200-1465708829_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

FYI , The Viking shocks with aftermarket control arms you may have to grind a bit of the bolt head that the bottom of the shock mounts to. . It wasn't bad but I found out the hard way. Here are a couple of pictures

those holes that were drilled for the upper mounts, which size bolt was used and how the heck did you fish them into the holes?

Well the car put up a good fight and did not want to give up the 46 year old control arm but I won out in the end.

post-1188-0-96568000-1465746918_thumb.jpeg

Ignore the feet in the pic!

Nice Feet .. J/k..  I mounted the bracket up there with the two existing holes. Lined up where the other two holes go and  I used an air drill I bought at Harbor freight .. That drill worked great. I have a small 4 horse 25 gallon compressor.. To get the bolts in is a PITA..  I used one of those long reach claws. I Placed the head of the bolt and a washer in the claw and fed it in. It took a bit.. Attached picture of both tools.  

• Like 1

Sorry, keep forgetting to attache the picture

Thanks, I will have to get one of those claws. No way to get my fingers that far back. Do you remember of you use the 1/2" or 5/16 bolts for the drilled holes? The holes I drilled were 5/16" so I assume those are the bolts I need?