Power window motors

71 MONTE 4 YA

Hey all I bought a complete used power window kit a fews years back and all the motors were working fine. the box that contained everything has been in the Monte since then. I had installed one regulator and motor  in the NOS door that I have and it was working fine when first installed a few years back. I do not have the complete kit installed in the car just the two wires that run from the window motor. Well we got the Monte back in the shop and I needed to take the custom fitted sport mirror off of the door. I needed to let the window down so I could take the bolts off the mirror and nothing. I connected the battery charger to the two wires from the motor. Was I supposed to do it that way or ground the body of the motor and power the wires individually for up and down? I don't remember how I tested them before but I know they worked. Thanks...Rodney

If I remember correctly, the motor grounds to the door and one wire is positive (up) and the other is positive (down)Mike

Thanks Mike!I will try again when I get back to the shop. Appreciate you!

Rodney, Mike is correct - attach the positive lead to one of the two wires at a time and briefly touch the negative lead to the actuator frame to see which one moves the window down (see photo at this LINK).  

BTW, I've had very poor luck using a battery charger for a power source, especially for anything like a motor that pulls several amps.  If you can't get the window to operate with the charger connection, use a 12v battery. Good luck.