Larger Output Alternator

beater72

What is everyone running for internally regulated alternator that is bigger than 60 amps? I'm upgrading to internal regulated alternator and wondering what size to go with. The only big draw I have planned is a decent stereo system.... Has anyone used the 100 amp one offered by OPGI? Or is anyone running an 80-85 amp one?

I ran a Powermaster that had an actual output of 158 amps.  I forget what the advertised amps were but I never had any issues.  I had a sub panel in the engine compartment with alot of electrical accessories from fans, fuel pump, water pump, etc.  Probably overkill but oh well.  I didn't want to be short on electrical supply.  It was a good alternator. - Dave

p.s. - I would buy from someone like Summit Racing before I would buy from OPGI.  I would also check with Leo at Konik Klassics.  He's a long standing member here and is located in Michigan.

As Dave stated Summit or even JEGS before OPGI. I have an 100amp alt on my 70, 140amp on a 70 El Camino and I believe another 100amp on a 72 Monte. The 70 Monte has probably the most elec  items in it with the radio setup, elec fans, power windows and locks and remote entry. Although the other two aren't far behind.

I have a place here in Anderson Indiana that will build me a 160 amp for $160. If I remember correctly it is a chrome housing but I have to run a 6 Gauge wire to the horn relay as the 10 gauge is not big enough.

I have a Powermaster on mine. Been so long I can not remember the amps I chose but I want to say 160 maybe.

The only problem with the one I chose is that you have to bring the rpms up at start up to "excite" the alternator. Not a problem if you have a choke but I removed mine so the car idles very low and if I don't blip the throttle at start up it will run off the battery and will kill it. What I mean by excite is once you raise the rpm's for a second or two you can see on your volt meter that the alternator is now active and battery is now charging.