Removing choke on an edelbrock 1407 carb

o_rod

I started cleaning up the engine bay and found I really have no need for a choke on my Monte as its just a weekend toy when it's nice out.

I'd like to remove the entire manual choke. the cable and brackets are staight forward but what else can I take off? anything special I have to do to make this work or do I just remove the plate/shaft and everything they are attched to?

Personally, I would remove the cable & cable brackets (if you don't like the look under the hood), but I would leave the choke assembly on the carb.  The choke on the carb is completely out of site with the air cleaner on and if it is properly opened, it has no ill effect on the engine performance.

Too many times people make decisions today that they regret tomorrow. When I see used carbs for sale without choke plates, I wonder what else did they butchered and I pass it right by.

I never ran an edelbrock carb, so I have no answer for your original question. I'm sure someone will help out though.

Scott

I agree with Scott, my first thought would be, why get rid of it? Although if you're trying to clean it up just for aesthetics the brackets and cable is all I would do. Then what would you do with the choke plate as well as the fast idle cam?

It's for aesthetics and I always take the less is more approach on my projects. If something is not useful to me I'll remove it.

I definitely wouldn't have done this if it wasn't 100% reversible or if I had to modify the carb itself. I ended up removing the carb and putting it on the bench. The awesome thing about the edelbrocks is there modular design. I was able to completely remove the choke system with no modifications to anything and nothing more than hand tools.

20161221_141620_zpsgg8nvubc.jpg

It fired up first crank in 35 degree weather and it's cool to look down the throat and see the four venturi's with no restrictions.