Ignition ballast resistor

mikeringland

I bought the Pertronix ignition points conversion kit for my '72 Monte. The directions show a different way to wire the positive to the coil if the car is equipped with a ballast resistor. Does the '72 have one and what does it look like?

Mike 

Why do I need to run a new hot wire to the coil? What is wrong with the

wiring that is present on the positive lead?

Your 72' came with standard ignition (points) so in order to supply the coil its proper voltage GM decided to use a ballast wire. The wire contained in the primary ignition circuit designed to reduce wear on ignition components. Most coils of the time required an external ballast wire or resistor. With regards to your new install it may require full voltage to the system, instead of the voltage drop in your current system. Make sense?

Yes, it makes sense. I was not aware that the positive lead was only operating at 6.5 volts. This is why I enjoy this forum, I am able to get clear answers to questions about this car. Thank you,

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I ran a new ignition wire from my fusebox to the positive lead of the coil. I removed the 2 wires that were crimped under one fork connector. My guess is one was the 12 volts ignition power and the other was the resistor wire. Does that sound right? Also, there is a 3rd wire that comes off the positive lead and goes to a small cylinder that is in top of the intake manifold behind the distributor. What is that, and should I leave it connected now that I have 12 volts at that lead rather than 6.5 volts when the car is running?

Not sure what your refering to but did it have 12 volts originally? If it only had 6.5 and has 12 now it may cause some damage I assume. I think in the instructions it says to change the wire from ignition switch to coil but as long as you have 12 volts with key on and 0 with key off you should be good. Its scarg doing something new for sure but im sure your fine.

I think I figured out what it is. I think it's the oil pressure sending unit. My Monte only has an idiot light for the oil pressure, and it still works so I guess I have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1