Overdrive

Guest Rich1970

No matter who you buy your overdrive tranny from be very careful as to what the strength of the hard parts are that are in it. There is a lot of junk out there being marketed as good to X# of HP, but then your tranny takes a dump the first time you really get hard into the throttle. I'd look at Companies like Gear Star(Yank convertors) and PATC. They build hard core overdrives that can take the abuse of racing conditions. Even if you are not racing I still believe in overkill. Would you rather have a tranny just strong enough for what you are doing now, or would you rather have a unit strong enough to take the abuse of drag racing? It's your money. I almost forgot that all these tranny builders who give you rated to X# HP are giving you this rating based on naturally aspirated power(no NOS/supercharger/turbo). As soon as you put on a power adder and the tranny fails and you try to get warranty service you can forget it. As soon as they open the unit up they will be able to tell what you were up to when the tranny failed. Everyone goes with 700r4's(including myself), but take a look at a correctly built 200r4. It's lighter and doesn't have that big gear ratio split between first and second gear. A 200r4 can be built to take as much power as a 700r4. Just food for thought.

Guest Rich1970

I was also checking into Gear Vendors for my Turbo 350, by WOW that is serious cash. I dont race my car and I have only done mild upgrades to the 400. I totally agree on overkill. I have had the car for 9 years now and I dont see it going anywhere anytime soon. So spending a little money to get the right tranny is worth it.

If you only have mild upgrades and probably around 400 hp or so, the 700r4 would be fine, but if you push it higher, you should probably look at a gear vendors because by the time you put enough parts in the 700r4 to make it strong enough, you could have had the GV anyway, and it's way stronger. Bill (502) runs one and really likes it, you might PM him.

Yeah the gear vendors is alot of $$$... frown

But you can throw 1,200 hp at it and it will be fine... grin

It can even be modified to handle more.

It only uses 1 hp for every 400 hp you have to operate it...the most efficient overdrive out there.

Bill

Guest Rice Racing1

4l80E, Th400 with overdrive! Will take as much power stock as a full tilt 700 or 200r4! Yes it requires a stand alone computer to work but it's easy to install, and easy to change the shift points and firmness throught the ECM. Gm has a retro fit ECM and harness.

Don

I have a Stage 3 200R4 from Bowtie Overdrives. I bought it almost 4 years ago for my Corvette. Well, I sold the Vette and decided to put it in my Monte when I put the stroker in. It sat in my garage for the last 3 1/2 years without being used. Well the line pressure bounces all over the place. They sent me a new valve body without question, but it took 2 months to get it. I called several times and each time, they told me they were about to ship it that day. They finally shipped it, but when I got it, it wasn't protected from all of the foam peanuts and the crap was all in the valve body. I spoke with the owner and you could tell he wasn't happy with the dude that sent it out. Another one of the employees got on the phone and you could tell he wasn't proud of that guy either. Anyway, they are sending me another trans-free of charge and I have to send this one back. Hopefully, it won't take 2 months again. I feel like they make a good product, but my luck was just that-my luck. I had concidered switching over to a manual, but I've driven this and feel pretty sure I will be happy with the new one they send. I'm not usually this optimistic with faulty parts, but if anyone was going to have one crap the bed, it was going to be me. I don't think you would be disappointed. Most of the guys over on Corvetteforum are pretty happy with them.

If you don't care about weight and want an almost indestructable overdrive I'd go with what Don recommended and get a 4L80E. If I didn't plan on doing any track time at all I'd already have one in my car. I still may one day if I can get the extra weight off my car somewhere else prior to putting in the 4L80E.

Guest Rich1970

This car will never see the track. This car is for driving and going to shows. I just want the overdrive fro the longer road trips

In that case, I say just get some 2.73 gears or lower if you can find them! You don't need to spend mucho money on a transmission if you're just driving to shows!

Guest Rich1970

I like the 3.73 that are in it now, just want to get the rpm's down on the highway. I will be getting an overdrive for sure. the 350 turbo is going into my next project

• 1 month later...