transmisson temp

bills70monte

Hey guys, just a quik question if anyone can give an answer. What is the range for the operating temperature for a T400 transmisson? I'm just trying to iron out some kinks and optimize performance for my car. Thanks guys. Bill

Hey Bill, I believe a good range to shoot for would be 150 deg F. to 180 deg F. Many of the automatic coolers with fans have automatic temperature switches to turn on the fans between 170 and 180. Generally, the hotter the transmission fluid, the shorter the life of the internal clutches and seals.

Most stock setups have the trans cooling done by the radiator coolant, so I can't imagine a fully-warmed trans would ever run at less than 180. I guess the question is: "what is the upper limit of normal operating temp?"

I have heard of problems from running a trans TOO cold, so that should be a consideration, too.

Here is an interesting article from a "Yahoo" site, obviously not the expert on transmissions, but it appears to have been written by somebody knowledgable. They claim the normal operating temp is 175 degrees, and for every 20 degrees above that temp, you decrease the life of the tranny by half. They also state that anything above 250 degrees starts irreversably affecting the seals and should be avoided.

I agree, too cold can be an issue too, I think you and I have talked about it before actually Wallaby, my transmission doesn't seem to stall correctly until I get the temp up around 130-150 degrees or so. Another aspect to my configuration is that I completely bypass the radiator, so the engine coolant temp does not act to warm up my transmission which I think is part of the original design.

With a 7" x 11" B&M stacked plate cooler only, my transmission runs at 160 degrees on the highway, and in town has gotten up to 175-180 when the converter is heating up in stop and go traffic.

Transmission Article

Thanks guys, thats an excellent article, great info. My trans temp runs mostly 180-190; on the highway about 200. I recently added a temp gauge for the tranny....one more thing to watch and wonder about.... Thanks .

I have an advertisement from a company that makes 'warranty strips' for transmissions... when the trans exceeds a certain temp, each section will change color..

they generally suggest that you want to keep the trans at the same temp as the engine.. lower is always better.

I would even venture to say that over 220°F is _REALLY_REALLY_ bad for an auto trans.

Thanks guys, thats an excellent article, great info. My trans temp runs mostly 180-190; on the highway about 200. I recently added a temp gauge for the tranny....one more thing to watch and wonder about.... Thanks .

Isn't it wierd how that works Bill! You add those guages to feel better about your car, and then worry more! I've been through the same thing! lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lurchsmalibu
I have an advertisement from a company that makes 'warranty strips' for transmissions... when the trans exceeds a certain temp, each section will change color..

The strips stick to the tranny case or pan? If so that would be a pain to keep checking and hopefully you catch it in time if it happens to run hot.

Gauges all the way.... wink