stock 10 bolt

Guest darkwingduck1970

yah.. i wouldn't recomend slicks with that kind of power.

however.. if you add C-clip eliminators, and a bearing-girdle-cover, and if you want to.. some quality aftermarket axles, you will have a solid reliable rear.

You'll bust it to shreds with slicks. shocked

But a 10 bolt can be tough, build it up and I can see it taking it. Normal driving you will be fine. I've been told of a 66 Chevelle 327/350 HP that had a 10 bolt Positraction that my uncle had years ago. He give that car the rough, he'd rev it up and pop the clutch with huge tires on the rear. That 10 bolt had to be bullet proof...almost anyway to take the abuse Marshall give it. He never tore it up.

I say to be on the safe side and if you're gonna put money$$$ in rearend get you a 12 Bolt and build it up.

It'll set you back between $700-1000 if you let someone else build it, but that is already having the rearend. You can have $1500 in a 12 bolt if you have to go buy the rearend housing.

A friend of mine has a truck with about 425-450 HP 454 and has a one wheel peel 10 bolt in it.... Doesnt hold up so well... His passenger side axle is twisted after driving it for about 2 years.... Guess it held up for a little while but eventually they break....

Tom

I would agree that a stock 8.2 10 bolt wouldn't take much abuse at the track with slicks before you had a failure. But like Tim stated you can beef it up with an aftermarket p-track unit (eaton) aftermarket replacement axles (moser, strange, mark williams, yukon etc...). A heavy duty girdle cover with bolts to support the carrier bearings is also a plus. I've made all the mods to my 8.2 and have made more than 150 passes on et/ streets and now hoosier QTP's with a best 60' of 1.78 sec. If your car is going to see the track a 12 bolt would be a good choice.

David