Glass hood question

680HPStroker

Anyone got an idea how to get a bow in a fiberglass hood back down? It's mainly on the drivers side edge and in the middle up about an 1", or so. Thought about padding the heck out of it and just setting about 100lbs of weight on it in that spot over the winter to try and force it back into shape. If I had it to over again I'd have fabricated a custom air cleaner to clear my stock hood with my intake/carb setup. I've never heard of one fiberglass cowl hood for a Monte that was perfectly flat right out of the box. Even after tons of prep work my hood still has edge areas still need sanded down and filled if necessary to obtain a perfectly smooth surface for paint. Maybe in a year, or so I'll repaint the car and finally get this hood the way I want it. I've been told I'm to anal about some stuff. I'm starting to believe. Ha! Never!

Guest 72yellowmc

my hood I bought from glasstek was straight as an arrow right out of the box. Just cleaned it real good and then painted it.

As far as getting the bow out of it I have know idea.... what brand of hood is it?

Well that is all well and good, but it was drop shipped to my body shop and they started preping it before they noticed it. By then it's to late to send it back and I'm not going there when it comes to making the body shop pay for it. I'm looking for a way to get it back in shape. I own it so I have to deal with it. I'm not looking for what should have been done. That is already gone. I'm looking for help in dealing with the here and now. Thanks.

Can't your body shop fix it for you???? I know some guys don't like to mess with glass!!! It hard to find guy's now adays that even want to mess with metal. Good Luck! I'am sure when the boards get going tonite you'll get some more help!!

Mike

you can try to put some weight on it and use a heat gun, I don't know if this would work, that's how I would start

If I was to guess a remedy that is what I would try... wink

Bill

i kind of remember my vfn hood having a similar condition. I sat a cement clock on it with the hump spanning some wood peices for a while. But to be entirely honest with you i dont remember what fixed it maybe it was time or something who knows hahah to may projests after all the years you loose track of some of them... good luck!