Share Your Muffler Experiences Please

Heckeng

• 2 months later...

I purchased Dynomax's Bullets, had them put on, and had them taken off the next day because they sounded like crap. Now I am running single chamber Flowmaster race mufflers with an X pipe.

The single chambers sound very aggressive but dont sound as good as 40 series Flowmasters. I called Flowmaster and asked them if their Super 44s was their best sounding muffler, and the tech person that I spoke with said that the best sounding muffler that they make is the original 40 series.I have heard some wicked sounding Borlas on a Camaro.I have not heard the Spintech yet.

i bought the flowmaster 2 1/2'' kit and installed it myself and took it and had it welded up..

the thing that gets me is... just about 2 months after i got the sytem.. they came out with a 3'' kit frown

I have manifolds on my 70 with 2.5 inch midpipes bent by me. They connect to Super 40 Flowmasters and then to a set of $96 dollar Flowmaster mandrel tail pipes. I use repop oval Chevelle tips. It sounds good for stock faithfull 70 LS5 rebuild. It will burn the tires and bark second gear. But it is a little bland.

On my 81 Malibu, I went a different route. I went with cookie cutter Hooker Super Comp big tube headers, and wacked off the collectors. Bent up a couple of 3 inch mids, and threw on a pair of 3" 40s. Flowmaster Mandrels out back with a pair of bazzooka tips. With a classic 468 12.5:1 compression engine with a huge cam will make some noise. You don't see too many 10 second street cars in traffic, the noise will make you look. I keep her at my shop and am not allowed to start it before 8 am.

I do believe that I am losing some top end with my current setup, but it already hits 136 in the quarter with the old setup. I am good, but the sound is incredible.