700r4 driveshaft

Hoodicoff1

In the summer I put the 385 and 700r4 into the Monte, got it all running but never got around to a driveshaft, the original driveshaft was for a turbo 400 and is completley different. Now I just measured it and Im around 56 inches in between the rear dif and transmission and I believe the output shaft on the transmission is a 27 spline output. Is there a driveshaft from another car that will work or am I gonna have to find a driveshaft from another A body, cut it down and find a 27 spline yoke?

any drive shaft from a 350th car will work. the 350th yoke is stronger then a 700 yoke. but ur question hooter has been bought up before and depending on what ur tailshaft is on the 700 could be different then others. the 700 i have in my monte has a 6" and i used an old 350th drive shaft. another member here put a 700 in his that had a 9" tail shaft and he had to shorten his shaft about 1.5".

if someone could measure their driveshaft and see if it's around 56 inches that would help me, then Ill be looking for an A body th350 driveshaft, because mine has already been modified for a Th400 and now is too short for the 700r4

Get a custom driveshaft made. It will be stonger and a perfect fit. I'd also get aftermarket yokes from companies like Mark Williams, Moser, or Strange. Even if you never race a soul it's nice to have the confidence that your driveline will never let you down no matter what you do. Do it once and do it to the max.

you will need a stock TH350 driveshaft for a monte.

and have it shortened by 6" I think it is. Monte70Car's driveshafts are an oddity yet to be explained smile I just did the TH350-> 700r4 swap my self.. a local machine shop shortened my driveshaft for me. talk to your machine shop, ask them how they would like the distance measured. mine had me go ujoint center to ujoint center on the two yokes. (I borrowed a yoke from leo for measuring)

Where (how far in / out) do you position the yoke in the trans to get this measurement?

I wonder how much total movement your drive shaft has (in and out) when the rear axle is full up vs full down on the snubber?

Bruce

that was my concern too dont want to go too long or it could bind with suspension travel, but then I dont want it too short or Ill only be riding on half the spline channel

Ill have to look at a couple driveshafts I have around here tommmorow, if I dont have what I need Ill get one off one of you guys here

i had my car jacked up on side by the rear axle, and allowed an extra half inch or so, and that turned out to be a mistake.

If Im thinking this right, the rear suspension moves forward as it drops, so with the rear suspension fully extended, you want to fully seat the yoke the trans and then allow for whatever you need.

i'd offer to measure my driveshaft, but we just got 10" of snow, and I'm not crawling under the car to look lol