FYI on new 72 gas tanks

1972mc

I purchased a new "Canadian" gas tank for my frame off resto. It is a 34P from Classic Muscle/Modern Chevrolet. Installed it after finishing the bottom strip,sand, prime and paint. Did not bother to hookup the 3 vent lines for a few months. After cleaning them and installing new hose and clamps, I realized the center vent pipe was not in the correct location.

Factory tank center pipe is 1-2 inches off center (confirmed by the 72 factory assy manual). The Canadian tank center pipe is 6 inches off center to the opposite side.

Modern Chevrolet contacted the mfgr and they confirmed they knew of the problem and sold 5 of these to unsuspecting Monte owners in 2007.

The mfgr has begun making them correctly and will send me a new one after returning the one I have.

Yes I know I could have extended a hose but that would be jack leg.

Just thought someone might want to know...

That's not the point...if they sell it as "correct" it should be "correct" These reproduction parts guys need to be held responsible for misrepresenting these parts.....What about all the time and effort to do a correct restoration and now to take out the tank and send it back?

It's just not right. If they knew about it, the buyers should be made aware so that they can make their own decision if they want to extend the hose or not......

My 2 cents,

Steve

got a call from Classic muscle-bad news. The supplier will not be providing/manufacturer the correct tank. Guess I'll be extending the hose.

Carl

That really bites Carl. It seems like everything I touch anymore goes that way. Cheap reproductions or "BOLT ON-NO MODIFICATIONS NECESSARY". Yeah right. My latest endeavor was installing aftermarket a/c in my '55 chevy pickup. Hot Rod Air sells a full "bolt on, no mods necessary" kit with heat/air/defrost that was anything but a bolt on. I had to make my own brackets for the evaporator,condenser and temp. adjust. All they sent me was some generic straps and a roll of plumbers strap. On top of that I had to go to another Vintage Air for different outer vents to complete the install because they don't have ones specific for tri-five chevy pickups. Remember that this is a kit specific for tri-five pickups right out of their catalog. The older I get the more I wish I would have listened to my parents... You get what you pay for! Nygel.