Need your help

Guest Phils72

Guest Phils72

I need some opinions. I have been thinking about putting a fuel cell in my car,i have a new one in my shop. How do you guys feel about cutting up a good trunk? The reason 1. safety when I do race 2. I'm afraid of dumb people putting something in my tank. I know I can always put a locking gas cap on, but I also want that prostreet look. Any thoughts?

I would say it depends on how far you have taken your car from stock. My first Monte was slowly turned in to a street / strip car and if I still had it I would have put one in it. My current one looks stock for the most part, but I have added Fuel Injection and aftermarket A/C. I am thinking of getting a different fuel tank as the Injection does not like the tank to be more than half empty because there is not a sump to keep the fuel around the pickup.

Ian

Guest Evil Austin

I say that if it is what you want to do with it, and it is not an orginal bb/4spd SS then cut the thing up and make it your own. A fuel cell does have mass curb appeal when walking up to a car at a show to me !

-EA

Ther's always this route...a sumped tank... wink

I myself didn't want to loose trunk space let alone cut up the trunk.

For the record I have a locking gas cap behind that license plate... grin

Bill

img0418xi1.jpg

I debated the same thing, and decided to put one in. My car isn't very special as far as options go, so I opted to just have fun! It did eliminate the trunk for much use, but do you take your car on long trips? I will drive it on 3-4 hour trips for events, but can keep the suitcase in the back seat, and I'm SOL for a spare tire, but I keep a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk! This is the only picture I have currently, a little dirty in there but you get the idea.

fuelcellhp6.jpg

It is very fun popping the trunk to fill it up at the gas station. You get some funny looks sometimes!

Another option is the route I went. That is to have your tank pick-up tube modified with 5/8" tubing and then run all new 5/8" fuel line(hard not flex) to a 170gph mechanical pump. From there pipe it with 1/2" steel braided line to a matching adjustable regulator with two outlet ports and then the same 1/2 braided hose to your carb. To date I've had no fuel starvation issues feeding a 1050 dominator carb on a 680hp BB. Just a thought.

Hey Scott, I saw a 69 Grand Prix for sale and they had a mini spare mounted in the trunk. You think that would be any good? Only thing is if you had a flat you would have to put your wheel in the back seat. I don't have that much faith in fix-a-flat, did you ever use it?