700r4 wiring

Reaper

Hey guys Im getting ready to put a 700r4 and 305 from an 86 Camaro into my 80 pickup with a straight 6... What I need to know is do I have to do anything with the wires that come off the trans? I seen in past posts about the lock up converter wiring harness... Do I need to get this? Can I hook the wires that are already on the tranny somewhere and make it work? Or do they need hooked up at all?

What if I was to change the converter? theres one on Summits clearance rack... Thanks guys Tom

On a Monte note... my 454 should FINALLY be done this week I hope anyway.... Then the fun begins!! smile

Thanks again Tom

You can use the trans without a lockup kit.it works fine . been driving mine 3yrs that way . i actually have the Painless Wiring kit in my 700R4.I installed it with a toggle switch to defeat the kit and prefer the way the car drives without the Lockup. occasionally out on the interstate i will "switch " the lockup on,but only on the interstate.

mike

BTW the Painless kit requires you remove the pan and replace one of the pressure switches , and add a vacuum switch and a new brake light switch.

I wanted to clear up one more thing.Overdrive is the fourth gear in a 700R4.Lockup locks the converter to turn the same speed as the crankshaft.without Lockup the RPM is higher .my car with 2.73 axle drops about 200RPM at 70mph with converter locked.

not wiring in converter lock up can produce heat

on long trips out on the highway. I would wire

it in. If you would like i could get you the part #s and a wiring diagram for 4th gear converter lockup or 3rd and 4th.

• 2 years later...

i was searching for other posts.. and saw this.. just thought I'd chime in.. . Grease is right.. driving w/o the lock up is a lot nicer on the road. but like ill-fated says.. it will generate heat.. ESPECIALLY if you are running any kind of high-stall.

So here are my two recomendations: Run the biggest trans cooler you can fit in the front of your radiator.

2) at the very least, put a basic toggle switch in teh torque converter clutch wiring. Turn it on anytime you are rolling steady speeds for any length of time.. interstate or not.

you can accelerate and decelerate with the converter locked, provided you do it VERY gently. (mostly useful on the freeway to pick up a few mph to pass someone etc)

but unlock if you plan to stick your foot into it smile

I would add one more reccomendation actully.. you add a brake pedal switch to disconnect power to the torque converter.. this is a good option if u have to take sudden evasive action.. you don't want to be fussing around with tryign to hit a switch and keep both hands on the wheel smile

just about any GM car from the late 80's should work. Iused a spare one for my '89 olds cutlass cierra in my monte.

• 1 month later...

I have been doing a lot of research on putting a 700R4 in my '72. There are many ways to do it according to the trans shops and speed shops in the area. It can be wired with the switch so you can shut it off when you put your foot in it. It can be wired to the brake switch so it shuts off if you hit the brakes and it can be set up to always lock up in high gear. But if you slow down, it will lug at slow speeds but the trans will most likely shift down to 3rd or 2nd and unlock it automatically. And if you put your foot in it, it will downshift to 3rd and unlock. Remember, when they put these in cars as standard equipment, they had no switch on the dash so getting it wired to work automatically is the least bother unless you are racing it.

Also, get an '87 to '92 trans. Prior to that, the shops said they had a lot of problems and after they they were electronic.

I hope this helps. If you want my research, I have it ina word document that is too long to post here. Send me your E mail and I'll forward it to you. Keep in touch in case we have questions along the way. Thanks, Jim

how it behaves, depends on the transmission. My 700r4 will lock up in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. (I bumped the switch and didn't notice one day, that's how I know this lol)

some will only lock in 4th, some will 3rd and 4th, it just depends on what the trans came out of.

there are even kits to eliminate the electric lock up all together and have fully automatic control hydruallicly from inside the trans.

when these trans went into cars, they had a computer controlling the TCC.. and it locks and unlocks far more often then you would believe!

that's good info btw.. you don't want an 86 or earler 700r4, they were much weaker, and had several design flaws.

i usually just leave my TCC off around town, unless I'm making a long trip on a surface road. otherwise, I just use it on the freeway. my O.D keeps my engine below stall speed, so i try to use it as much as I can. (2500 stall) I run 2250 rpm @ 70mph

• 2 weeks later...

Hey boys and girls. Summit has in their bargian bins TCI 700R4/2004R automatic lockup kits for $49.98. This is a great deal I picked one up and it looks good. It changes the wireing so it will only lockup in fourth and unlocks when your engine is under load. You can also add the brake switch to this setu if you want immediate unlock on braking, and an over-ride swtch so you can keep it on or off in other gears.

Down side is that it is only in the store (Ohio) and is limit one per person.

Just thought you guys should know.

Christian