Underhood Paint Advise Needed

I am in the process of pulling motor accessory brackets, pulleys, etc. off to sandblast in preparation to paint.

I am very likely going to use the Eastwood Underhood black.

I do not want to use a good finish spray gun for this job.

Has anyone used a cheapy Sears or Husky type spray gun to get decent results? Aerosol Can?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Thanks again... Found a few cheapy HVLP guns at a Eastwood and at Summit Racing.

These will be perfect for painting brackets and rust inhibitor on the floors.

I did not want to use a really good one (final coat type) for these types of applications but want some quality on the engine accessories (pulleys, brackets, radiator support, etc).

Thanks everyone!

Photos of progress to follow.

Greg

I thinned rust'o'leum with laquer thinner (which they say not to do) and sprayed the underside of my hood with a basic gravity feed gun from harbor freight ($14 on sale) came out great.. it's standing up a lot better then the krylon spraypaint I used on other stuff!!!!!

i used 'satin black' for the underside of the hood, and I don't use a pad at all.

• 1 month later...
Guest MikeG1972

I also used a cheap gun on the under hood, firewall, and trunk inside. I did them all a couple of times not because of the gun but because I have trouble painting a fench.

I only used Walmart $0.96 spray paint. The only thing not 96 cent was the semi-flat on the fireall which I used Krylon, the engine paint(high temp), and exhaust manifold paint(high-temp).

2006fgmcceasternmeet001zx6.jpg

No paint guns were used here... I'm sure you can get a better job using a paint gun. But now my engine compartment detail job is 2 years old and that cheapo paint has held up very very well.