Cruise Control Regulator

70 Iron

Is there any place you can send the cruise reg to have it rebuilt?I have the whole set up to install and would like to rebuild the reg before i start.I have tested the vac and electrical and seems to be ok. When testing the reg "Hold",with a ohm meter it reads low,3 instead of 4-5 ohms.The book says to replace it if it reads low or higher.Anyone had any experience with these ? Thanks

Terry

Sorry, I don't know of a repair place. If you split the case (take it apart) make an alignment mark so you put it back together in the same spot. I believe this can lead to the unit engaging below 25 MPH. The small vacuum orifice that is adjustable is very sensitive, don't adjust it too much.

I bought mine used years ago. Every 3 years or so it stops working. I take the unit apart, clean it, reassemble it (NO LUBE) and it works again. I think it sucks in dirty air (it has a foam filter) and that causes it to stop working. I added an extra ground wire since I have plastic fenders. I don't know if I need it or not, can't hurt.

Bruce

Try these guys. The do, or at least used to, sell remanufactured AC transducers (that's what you're referring to) and I believe I used them at one point to repair the one on my former 71 Ascot blue Monte.

United Speedometer Service

3746 Comer Avenue, Riverside, CA 92507, 951-684-0292

Thanks Guys,I'll try all that you mention.

I replied this morning and thought I summited it but don't know what happen to it! I may of posted somewhere I shouldn't lol

Terry

not to speak against the manual.. but I don't really see 3ohms being a problem vs 4-5 ohms.. that could easily be a discrepancy in the ohm meter.. I've seen some VOM's with crazy wide tolerances in the past. I had one that read 3 ohms even with the leads shorted together :>

Terry,

I also remember not being in spec, but I got mine working. I say, hook it up and give it a try!

Bruce

Your right about the ohm meter,Its as old as I. I just bought a cheap digital yesterday but haven't been out to give it another check. The manual says 5-6 instead of 4-5 like i first said,not that it makes much difference.I also found a couple more reg at the bone yard,so like you said Bruce,hook it up and see what you got!I am just getting things together for when I do get the urge to install it. Thanks Guys

Terry

Hi all,

I used the new digital ohm meter today on the reg and they all checked out alright,you were right on the money Kc8oye,thanks.

I also pulled one apart like you said Bruce I just wanted to look inside and it looks very clean.I see something that looks like points in there,I guess you need to clean them every now and then and blow the dust out of it too

I found a place called Powl Speedometer kind of close to here that will check it out if its needed,so thanks Cris for the # you gave too.

Terry

what? I WAS right? *sits down in shock*

lol... i've been down that road.. I found out those VOM's from harbor frieght that were on sale for $3... were that cheap for a reason hahah

awesome tho... when i'm checking values and they're 'almost' intolerance.. I like to try a couple of different VOM's.. I even have my Grand-dad's analog VOM that was manufactured in 1942 just in case smile

what? I WAS right? *sits down in shock* smile

Great, now we are going to have to deal with Tim having a swelled head from being right ONCE. laugh

Rob,Have I created a monster! Lets allow Tim his 10 Min of fame and glory .

Tim that meter your Grand dad had was made about the time that I was ! smile

Terry

Terry.. heh.. I don't even use it.. honestly I don't really know how.. I'm spoiled by digital VOM's these days.. the only thing I really use it for any more is checking TPS sensors on modern cars cuz the needle shows more clearly if the action is smooth or not.

and rob.. naw... i won't get a swelled head.. i wast just surprised.. seems like i've been eating a lot of foot just lately wink