red line tires

1967vettecoupe

Can someone tell me if red line tires were ever put on from the factory in 1972. I just purchased a `72 with original 454. The restorer put on red lines and maintains the build guide books clearly state they were used by the factory on occasion and would be correct for judging. I am contemplating having the car at the East Meet this year. Thanks, Jim

this is in my 1970 shop manual

G70x15 red or white stripe (optional)

with that being said, i have NEVER heard of or seen a monte that came from the factory with red stripes.

And I would be extra suprised if a "72" had them because they were really going out of style by then.

I like them a lot though. Not sure if correct for judging.

Thanks for your reply Kevin. Does anybody know if the info in the shop manual will support correctness for judging? Perhaps one of the tire strikes during the vehicle assembly time frame justified the factory throwing on whatever was available?! If the consensus is no way, I`ll consider swapping these out for white stripes before the meet. Thanks, Jim

Quote:
FROM GM Heritage Center: Capri,

Unfortunately the Pontiac build sheets exist, but Chevrolet build sheets don't exist prior to 1977. I checked our limited records and photos and could not find any red stripe tires for 1972 models.

General Motors Heritage Center

6400 Center Drive

Sterling Heights, MI 48312

(586) 276-0693

gmhc@gm.com

It is so frustrating trying to verify some things. Don't give up.

Can someone tell me if red line tires were ever put on from the factory in 1972. I just purchased a `72 with original 454. The restorer put on red lines and maintains the build guide books clearly state they were used by the factory on occasion and would be correct for judging. I am contemplating having the car at the East Meet this year. Thanks, Jim

As a fellow 72 454 guy, I'd love to hear about your 72. Was it advertised nationally? If it was, I may have seen it....

Thanks and good luck with it.

Jim,

I have never seen a post 1968 Chevelle or any FGM with Redlines. It appears that once they decided to go with raised white letters the redlines were nixed. I have not seen an original 70-72 FGM or Chevelle with the redlines. The most unique tire I've seen is the double thin-stripped tires on the Monte. That's a kick.

George

My cousin had a 69SS that came with red lines!

I have been searching high and low to find out when Chevy stopped the red line tires! No Luck!! I have never seen a Monte with them from the factory,I dont think it ever happened!I think the cut off was 69. I have a friend that has a 70 SS Chevelle and it was not an option!!

Mike

I agree with all that have posted here saying they have never seen anything as late as a `72 model with redlines. My question is whether or not the shop manual ( having been printed that they are acceptible ) could be held as gospel in a judged event for arguing correctness. The fellow who restored my car in Canada, had it at a couple major Canadian judged events and maintained the redlines flew as 'correct' after he used the shop manual to support their existence.

I guess it would be up to the judge and/or show/class that the car is entered in. If it were a concours event I don't think that redlines on a '72 would be deemed correct, as most models seem to have been available with redlines only through '69. Points would likely be deducted for having them on a '72 car - at least in the "stock" class. If it's not a concours event, however, I think that redlines might be considered "era correct", being as how they were a musclecar-era item and that era is generally regarded as continuing through '72. In that case a judge may consider them to be a nice touch - especially considering that the first gen Monte Carlo made its debut in late '69 as a '70, and had its beginning in 1968.

As far as a shop manual being used for "gospel" because it's a printed piece, I don't know that I'd count on that to argue correctness with for a concours event, either. Sometimes manuals and brochures will list optional equipment that was originally planned for production, but then never actually offered. If one could use the 1970 Accessory Brochure as "gospel" for correctness, then a '70 Monte Carlo convertible would have to be considered factory stock and "correct" - even though none were ever built as regular production cars. I believe that one of my GM factory manuals lists a VIN prefix code number for a '70 Monte Carlo convertible body style as well - which is a different number than the 13857 that a lot of us recognize as being for the "2-door sport coupe".

Dave

David,

Thank-you. You have confirmed much of what I was already thinking. I plan on bringing this car to the eastern meet in Greensburg PA for judging. I am new to Monte Carlo judging so forgive what may be a stupid question. But is the eastern meet , car being judged in a stock class, considered any type of "concours" event that would constitute a deduction for these tires? The previous owner, who restored and had the car judged in Canada at the Granby, claims tires were a no deduct. How would FGMCC and NMCOA treat these for judging purposes?

Thanks,

Jim

You're welcome, Jim. No stupid questions here - we can all learn from 'em!

I wouldn't consider either the FGMCC or the NMCOA shows and judging to be "concours"-type events. They're not that strict with correctness and all, but when it comes to splitting hairs between two cars in any given class, it is my understanding that the one which is the most correct or at the top of the class at an NMCOA meet will prevail. So, if there was a tie between your car (with the redline tires) and another in the stock class (with narrow white stripe tires), the other car would likely win the NMCOA "Stock" award because of the correctness issue. I know that the NMCOA would put an otherwise stock Monte Carlo into the "Street" class for having a set of aftermarket wheels and beefy tires on it, but if there was a tie between that car and one that was just as nice with similar wheels/tires AND a nicer engine compartment - perhaps with some chrome added in - that car would likely win. I've read for years in the NMCOA publication that if you want to win an award in any given class, then put your car in the class that it is built to the top of - if that makes sense.

The two official FGMCC Western Meets that I've attended have been more casual with regards to judging, as any member who wants to participate in judging, can. Everyone simply votes for the car they feel best represents each award, except for ones like the "President's Choice" award, where only the club pres votes for that one. Aaron (Canuck) has won the "Best Stock" award before at our meets, and although his car is basically stock, it does have a bit of a rumble to the chrome-tipped dual exhaust and he's sporting beefy white letter BFGoodrich Radial T/As - neither of which items are truly "stock". Redlines or not, if more people vote for your car in the stock class because it's basically stock at the FGMCC Eastern Meet, then I think you'd be the winner. We didn't do a points-type judging at the Western Meets.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Dave,

Thank-you! You have been extremely helpful. I am a Corvette guy and have been involved with the NCRS. You only compete against yourself in their arena. I thought the Monte Carlo Nationals had a more precise judging system than you indicate. This is my first go round with a Monte, so I didn`t know how precise things had to be. You have given me a good feel for what to expect.

Thanks again....Jim

You're welcome, Jim.

Well, the NMCOA's annual "Monte Carlo Nationals" judging is likely a bit more precise than the FGMCC's - as they have specific judges who just might use some sort of a point system, but I can't say for sure. I know that from reading the NMCOA club publication that the judging system/class breakdowns are always being refined from year to year. For more information about the NMCOA's class breakdowns, etc. I'd check out the NMCOA website at www.montecarloclub.com . I also wouldn't hesitate to contact John Harvey if more information is needed. I've exchanged a few e-mails with him and he's a great guy and will likely be able to address any questions in a timely manner.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if having redline tires would bump you into the "Street" class for NMCOA judging instead of the "Stock" class?

Dave