Reupholster and sound deadening

TheBMan

I removed the rear seat to have the seat-back reupholstered. While I was in there, I decided to clean it up and apply some sound deadening.

The original tar paper was in place so I removed it. There was some minor surface rust underneath, which didn't surprise me, but nothing serious at all. I cleaned that up and then, after thoroughly cleaning the metal surfaces, I applied Dynamat Extreme to the floor and trunk/back seat divider wall. I did not remove the vapor separator because, well, it's been on there for 50 years and I didn't want to open that potential can of worms.

I measured, cut and applied the Dynamat with a Nico Metal Barrel Roller. The stuff is pretty easy to work with but you have to be patient and thorough. Good adhesion is key to sound deadening since the way Dynamat works is to prevent the sheet metal from moving/vibrating.

There was no trunk divider board in the car so I bought a new one and put two layers of jute for added noise suppression.

I purchased a piece of Boom Mat, which is a sound deadening and thermal insulator and placed that over top of the Dynamat on the floor section.

Due to the weather, I probably won't be able to drive the car for a couple of weeks to test the outcome. As you know, the mufflers are under the rear seat but I'm hopeful that it helps silence some of the exhaust drone inside the cabin.

I hope this helps if you've been considering a similar project!

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2933.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

• Like 2

Very nice! I don't even have the "seat backing" anymore, since about 1991 and I think I have a small hole in the floor (drain hole)

• Like 1