header

any one know why some might do this for header005.jpg primary tube for #4 cly. has a joint in it near the motor and near the collecter. the headers came with the car so i dont know who made them. also one collecter is long then the other by a few inches.

I would have to say the slip fittings are either to make the headers easier to install or gain access to a plug that is blocked by the tube...meaning you would have to only take the one tube off to get to the plug instead of the whole side.

As far as one collector tube being longer...are they "even" when looking at them from the side under the car while they are mounted? I would safely say these are not "tuned" headers and the primary tubes and collectors don't have to be equal.

Bill

The hooker super comp headers for my old V8 Monza were like that so that you could get them around the sub frame...

Ian

Who knows?

Maybe that piece was damaged and repaired with a splice? I have seen headers that come in pieces to be assembled in the car but those are designed to snake around chassis parts and you don't have that situation. Maybe a different bend was added to make starter changes easier? Maybe a header for a Camaro or some other car was modified to fit?

Whatever the reason, I wouldn't loose sleep over it. lol

bill i dont know the reason by the joint as its welded and the passager side is the only one made like it. when i jack it up this afternoon i will messure the lenght of the collecter and report back. im goin to go from where the primairs enter the collecter and to where the lead pipe meets the collecter. the drivers side has no dents or dings on it for clear the steering shaft or contorl arm. if u would like a pic of the drivers side i can post one. from where the primairs enter the collecter to the lead pipe messures 9.5" on both sides. header003.jpgheader002.jpgheader004.jpg

the Passenger Side collectors should sit further back from the driver's side collector by a little bit.. just an inch or two I think. because the passenger side cylinder bank is offset to the rear of the engine so the cylinders/pistons can clear each other.