Curious...

Reaper

I was just thinking... Do you guys think that a higher stall converter (3500-4000) with a low (3.31) rear could hurt my tranny?? Should I be thinking about doing the 3.73 right now? Thanks, Tom

do you street drive it much? if so I wouldn't go with that high of a stall, you'll never get the converter in it's working area and it will create lots of heat, that high of a stall will also make it feel like mush on the street unless you have your foot stuffed in it

what are your cam specs? and compression?

I dont really want that much stall and Im hoping it isnt.... my last converter was in my TH400 and was a 3500 and I didnt really care for it driving on the street... But I bought the converter used from the guy that redid my 4l80 and he couldnt remember what the stall was but for 200 bucks and the ability to bring it back to him if I dont like it I couldnt resist smile.

I drive it on the street a lot... I wanted something in the 3k range but for now I have to hope this one isnt to high... It also has lock up though to try and help out... so thats a plus anyway...

My cam and compression arent really enough for that much stall either... My cam is a comp cam duration is somewhere in the 240's cant remember exactly... and the lift is .574/.578 compression is in the 9.25 area....

The 3.73 will make it less annoying to get the car rolling part-throttle from a stop- the converter will flash less which should help a little from building heat in the trans. Sam is right, get a converter with less stall and keep the 3.31s.

What is your current stall?

The higher the stall, the less enjoyable it is on the street in my opinion. Like Sam said, it turns to mush. With your cam, I'd think 2800-3000 would be good on the street.

Call ATI or Coan and get their recommendation.

I'm going to run a 3500 stall with a 4:11 gear, but want be doing much street or strip.

I would not recommend over a 2500-3000 stall for the street and keep the 3:31 gears or you'll be riding around about 45 mph all the time...

I will be doing this. Just depends on what you want. Its hard to make a street/strip car.

I run 2500 rpm stall with a 700r4 and 3.55 gears. . the way I see it, I have the best possible combination.

The stall, the LOOOOW 1st gear, and the pretty short gears in the back make it come off the line like gang busters.. the big jump into 2nd gear is barely noticeable at all, even at light throttle... If I'm going really slow like 30-35 mph in overdrive, then I can feel the stall converter. (If I can get the transhop to fix my shift points, this problem will go away)

Even in o.d running under 2500 rpm, it still feels solid.. sometimes you can feel it pick up a bit as it passes thru 2500 :>

on the freeway, in o.d.. turn the torque converter clutch on, 2250 rpm @ 70mph all day long, and TORQUE out the yin-yang. i have a very conservative driving style on the freeway, and I can make it from my place to leo's (75 miles) without ever unlocking the converter on the freeway..

the ONLY complaint I have about my entire driveline at this point.. I want more power :> and my mileage could use some work, but seeing that I've never made any attempt to 'tune' the holley carb.. i think with an o2 sensor I can improve my 12-14mpg hwy.

I dont like running a high converter on the street either... last summer with my Th400 i was running a 3500 stall and it sucked... This year with the 4L80 I got the converter for $200 bucks and dont know what the stall is... for 200 bucks as long as its not a 4k converter Im happy... its over a thousand dollar converter... and as long as its not gonna kill my tranny stayin with the 3.31's Im gonna stick with em for now... although I will prolly be going with 3.73's soon...

Thanks guys smile Tom

You will get lots of input here and it's all good, but talking to a reputable torque converter builder is the only way to go. They will get all your car specs, ask you what you use it for, and recommend the best overall stall converter for your application.

I know that... I already have the converter because of the deal I got and I will most likely be using it unless its stalling at like 4k... just simply because right now I dont have the crazy amount of money it would cost to buy a converter.... I just wanted to make sure Im not gonna fry my tranny by sticking with the 3.31's for now....

... although I will prolly be going with 3.73's soon...

Tom- can you get gears changed cheaply- and correctly? I've had to pay through the, uh, nose, to get gears installed. Setting up gears is not easy- you gotta find someone who really knows what they are doing. I'd go for a smaller converter and try to sell the one you have to offset the price, and then you'll end up with what it seems like you really want.

I know a guy that will do it for $150 and I know it will be done right... so its not real bad but Id rather do that... as long as this converter doesnt stall real high... Only time will tell.... I gotta get the car back on the road and see what the converters like... I would have to do that anyway to get an estimate of what it stalls at to sell it... Im curious as hell but dont have the money right now to go buy the yoke and everything else to get it driveable... So I gotta wait... sucks but I have to for now.

Tom

your gears will not 'fry' your trans. if anything, the higher ratio gears will be somewhat easier on the trans then lower (numericlly) gears.

this is a 4l80 we're talkin about :>