Correct exhaust tips for `72 454

1967vettecoupe

Hi all,

I am a new member with a `72 Monte 454 I just acquired and plan to have judged this year at the Eastern meet. The car has an original 454 with duals on the build sheet. Can someone tell me if the exhaust tips found on the SS model 70-71 are correct for the `72 454? These tips are NOS GM right down to the correct part numbers. Thanks, Jim

As far as I know there were no "tips" on the end of a 72's exhaust even with the 454. They had tailpipes only with a turndown at the bumper. You could get away with the tips but it wouldn't be "correct" if your car is 100% original/restored.

Steve

As far as I know there were no "tips" on the end of a 72's exhaust even with the 454. They had tailpipes only with a turndown at the bumper. You could get away with the tips but it wouldn't be "correct" if your car is 100% original/restored.

Steve

I'm with Steve on this one. The tips are part of the SS package and I have never seen or heard of them on a 72 Monte.

I like the tips so much, it was one of the first things I did to my car!!!!

Factory tailpipes were part # 3974755 & 3974756. They had built in resonators, round resonator with square shoulders (like a muffler) not the resonator pipes that have rounded edges and look like a snake that swallowed a rat. The tips were called " extension, muffler" in the parts book. They were part # 3956756 and they were a non chrome plated turn down tip. Info is out of the Chevy parts book, 1975 printing date.

That is what my friend's 71 Monte SS had, no chrome tips at all. I believe the "snake swallowing a rat" (I love that wording) resonators were much less restrictive.

Bruce

Rich,

Thank-you. I am trying to sort some of the incorrectness out from my recently restored `72 454 that I just acquired. The car has "the snake swallowing a rat" resonators with SS NOS chrome tips. Gardner did the exhaust for the restorer. I`m not sure if there was any other option for correctness from Gardner. The restorer was so proud of the chrome tips that he probably did not want to opt for correct. I plan on bringing the car to the Eastern meet and want to not be surprised when people tell me things are incorrect.

Jim,

Could you post some pictures of your exhaust?

I have a small block but would love to add your tailpipes and extensions. What diameter is the tailpipe where it exits the muffler? I know it's not correct for mine since I should have single exhaust, but I like the look of chrome tips

Bruce