Tranny rebuild and new converter.

dbreese

Time to go to the track!!! eek I picked the Monte up from the tranny guy. Rebuilt with alto red clutches and harden sprag and race and all the other good stuff Third gear band was almost gone. Hence the slipping!! lol Shift kit installed. Topped off with Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid. The converter is a Coan Max Performance 10" with a 3600 stall. It will footbrake to 3000. The neat thing is that it acts almost like a stock converter under light throttle and cruise. When ya start out in first it stalls just a little but once your rolling it really feels stock. Has something to do with the stator design that makes it effecient at this level.

Well ya know I had to take it to my clandestine testing area to do a little shakedown run. All I can say is car acts different. Engine seems to spool up quicker. No way the car would hook on the street but the 1-2 shift was very tight and when I went to third it was just like the 1-2 shift....TIGHT with no slip. I never knew how bad my third gear was until know.

Just a shout out to Larry Clinkscale at Southern Transmission, Thomasville, GA and Craig M. and the guys at Coan. cool

Going to the track in June for T&T and get it dialed in for Drag Week. Hope to be posting some new bests!! We'll see whistle

David

THIRD gear band?

what trans do you have?

TH350's and Th700's have a SECOND gear band....

i'm not sure about the 400's :>L

THIRD gear band?

what trans do you have?

TH350's and Th700's have a SECOND gear band....

i'm not sure about the 400's :>L

I stand corrected. That would be the high gear clutches that were worn not the band....I guess? Thats why I don't do trannys!! lol

David

hehe ok .. no biggy.. I Was just sitting here scratching my head goin.. what the heck? i was wondering if you had somthing unique smile

i got cha. my 700r4 was smoked when he tore it apart, the 2nd gear band was in bad shape, the 3rd gear clutch pack was GONE.. there nothing but some wornout steel plates left heh.

$1200 later, including a 2500 rpm stall converter, corvette 2nd gear servo, agressive shift kit, and a few other goodies.. hardened sprag.. etc.. I have a kickin' trans :> i also installed an SFI-Approved flexplate from summit racing with ARP bolts when I put the trans in... I'm not crazy about the idea of the flex plate comin' apart and coming thru the floor pan!

Sounds like ya got a stout 700r4 and that you have made all the good upgrades. I here ya about the sfi flex plate. Nothing good could come from that thing grenading.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Scott,

Work has been real busy!! I'm going to head to the track this Sat if the weather cooperates. lol I'm not going to be overly optimistic. If I can shave 3 tenths I will be one happy camper. Any gains beyond that will be gravey for sure!! lol. I'll be sure to post the results. Thanks for asking.

David