coolant question

Blake350

This is a general issue that I could use some guidance on...   small block-- iron block, iron heads, aluminum intake--all oem..the corners of the intake corroded and leaked...  sounds like it happens over time with the dissimiliar metals...    what is the best coolant/additive,  coolant /water ratio  ,etc   to minimize intake disintegration?   also are rad caps with sacrificial anode a thought??       thx for any help!!   Brian

That's a good question Brian, there's a post going now about antifreeze in stock motors. I have an aluminum intake on mine about 10 years or so and just using good old green stuff but eventually I'm going with aluminum heads too so I'm wondering what to use in that. May be a good question for Jeff from summit racing. I haven't had any corrosion problems with mine yet anyhow. I know the newer motors use different stuff and can't be mixed with the older stuff. Things that make you go hmmmm???

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

That's a good question Brian, there's a post going now about antifreeze in stock motors. I have an aluminum intake on mine about 10 years or so and just using good old green stuff but eventually I'm going with aluminum heads too so I'm wondering what to use in that. May be a good question for Jeff from summit racing. I haven't had any corrosion problems with mine yet anyhow. I know the newer motors use different stuff and can't be mixed with the older stuff. Things that make you go hmmmm???

Hey Steve, I have aluminum heads and intake, and what I found is the Prestone "compatible with all metals" green coolant works well. 

As for the "sacrificial anode", I've seen how useful they are on mixed metal engines...... Couldn't hurt. 

• Like 1