700-R4 transmission expert

Guest SSwolf

Guest SSwolf

I am putting a 454 in my Monte with 440 HP and 500 Torque. I am told that no matter how much you beef up a 700-R4 this type of engine will tear up the transmission. The transmissions everyone recommend cost $4,000 to $5,000. I want an overdrive transmission, so the turbo 350 and 400 are out. Any suggestions or stories that can help are appreciated.

Thanks

If you go with a 4l80 full manual or a 4l80e, you will need to do some fab work for the crossmember. The crossmember mounting tab on the 4l80 is 3-4"inches farther back than the th400. However, a "built" 4l80 will handle the most hp of all of them.

The 700R4 will handle it if built to. A couple of Chevelle and FG Monte owners are running 502+ engines with more HP and TQ than that at the track and they are fine. George

Gear Vendor is a great way to go for what you're running. Easy install and base model is good for 1200 HP. I paid 2300.00 for mine out the door.

If you are not concerned about adding a little weight the 4L80 is a good option, but expensive. Cost get's even worse with a stand alone ECU that will be required for full automatic shifts. A turbo 400 with a Gear Vendors over/underdrive unit is probably the best overall option. It will take everything you can throw at it up to 1,200HP for the base model. You can really dial in your shift points to match your power band. As far as 700R4 goes it's a viable option as well, but expensive in it's own right. You will need to throw $3-4,000.00 at one to hold up to the power of a big block. No matter who builds a 700R4 it can't take more than 700HP no matter how strong the parts are that you throw at it. It's design is what limits it's power handling capacity. I had one built as strong as you can build one behind my BB that put's down 534HP to the wheels. It held up to over 50 chassis dyno thrashings and was still going strong when I sold it. The other big downfall of a 700R4 is the wide gap between 1st and second gear. 1st gear is very quick and then with the big ratio split 2nd will bog down unless you have the power to pull through it. You can clean the shifts up with the right govenor and a good tv cable setting. In the end it's always about what you need to acheive your goal. When it comes to your drive line overkill saves a lot of headaches down the road. Just my humble opins here. Good luck.