Ignition key

mrm

Hi 1970 key turn and lights come on and when I turn to crank nothing , play with key and turning it , sometimes it starts but most times have to jump starter . Anyone have an idea or a wiring diagram 

thanks

Play with key and sometimes it starts? Sounds like a bad ignition switch to me or wiring connector...  don’t have a diagram of that switch. You might check with Paul Bell. I know he posted the diagrams for the 71s... maybe someone else will chime in also... good luck...🍀 

To check the switch, you have to locate it under the dash, bolted to the column with alot of wires going to it. Physically try to move it towards the steering wheel and towards the engine. If it's tight, loosen the 2 small mounting bolts and with the key turned forward, move the switch to the steering wheel. If it starts the switch was not adjusted correctly. 

For the backdrive, get behind the steering wheel, foot on the brake. Turn the key forward, while holding the key forward, move the shifter, column? Floor? Through the gears. If it starts, the back drive is out of adjustment. MAKE SURE your foot is on the brake throughout this check. It may start in gear or reverse if the adjustment is off. 

Try this first before the ignition switch check. 

Waiting to hear what you may find...