How to CD for 400 turbo

Hey Hey

Does anybody know a good cd or Dvd for rebuilding a 400 turbo I want to give it a try I am hopping they tell you what tools you need I have seen some out there but I want to see what someone has used one and how it went was it hard ti under stand was it to fast etc.

Thanks

Dave

BB

I bought myself the overhaul manual from....somewhere. I can't remember now. It was just a pamphlet about 1/2 as thick as a magazine, but had lots of pictures. The only drawback I saw was that there wasn't any information about taking measurements or upgrading or any of that. It was just a "take it apart and put it together" manual. It worked for me though. Most of the process can be done with regular tools, but there is a stage where you insert a large assembly with a seal around its perimiter, and I had to get creative to build a seal instaler that would let me get that part in without the seal getting buggered on the jagged case internals. I just used some aluminum sheetmetal I got from the home improvement warehouse (they call it flashing) cut it to size, de-burred the edges real good, rolled it like a tube and set it inside the case. The part I was installing just passed through the tube I made and it was in. Other than that, it was pretty easy. The trick that I learned from a buddy that wasn't mentioned in the book was to set up a clean trash can or equivalent so the trans is tail-end-down when you assemble it.

Wallaby mentioned a trash can ... i use a 30gallon

oil drum when building a 700r4. there is a tool also for lining up the oil pump assy when you have it apart. for that you can get a huge screw type hose clamp or a couple large ones put together to make a huge one. this tool is to align the two halves of the pump when you bolt it together.

The first time I did a T-400, the complete rebuild/shift kit came with a very good booklet that included how to modify for upgrades. I still use it. Jeg's has kits far cheaper than you can get anywhere. Find a earlier Cadilac T-400 for parts. They have a 5 (or is it 6) clutch drum in it that you need for higher HP BB's. Makes a big difference in "on the throttle" shift grabbing.

BB

Hey Hey

We order the vido from eastwood it came today hope to watch it soon (got to wait for the wife to go shopping)then we can sit and see what it take to rebuild a trbo 400 :rolleyes:smilewink:Plol

Dave

BB

Hey Hey

maybe we can do that we are looking at a way to hook the vcr to my computer so we could burn a CD so any puter smart dudes out there point me to whats out there

Dave

Dave, look for WinTv, i have it and have been able to get movies off of the VCR and TV.

Hey Hey

maybe we can do that we are looking at a way to hook the vcr to my computer so we could burn a CD so any puter smart dudes out there point me to whats out there

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Yes this topic caught my eye.......

I still have not fixed my TH400 that I broke with 3000 miles on it cry

transbroke.jpg

From my description of the symptons, I was told that it was the "low roller clutch" (?) that broke.

Does that video cover measurements for clearances and wear? The disasembly and reasembly seem like basic mechanical stuff, but I would need to know what parts are critical to check for wear & clearance.

Hey Hey

Bod I have not watch the hole vido but I think they would but I could be wrong and I been that a lot it seans when I go though the hole thing I will let you know it goes there

Dave