MY COMPUTER DIED!!!!!

Guest 72yellowmc

Guest 72yellowmc

Our computer died at home last friday..... frown ......... can some of you computer gurus give me an idea on whats the best computer out there now days????.... cool

If I could afford it, and if mine dies I would also go with a Mac. My dad made the switch last fall, and loves it. He got the 22" iMac, and a 13" Mac Book.

Ian

i have a toshiba laptop that is running the highest vista program. a hp laptop(school use) which is running vista. desktops i have a hp desktop with vista on it, two that are running xp+, and one that will be running lunix if i get it to work right.

No problem, my dad says the nice thing about the mac is that you take it out of the box and it just works. They are more money than a PC but there are not many viruses that infect them, and they don't get affected by a lot of the crap on the internet that messes up a Windows PC.... That may change as the gain in popularity, but for now they are safe..

Ian

IMAC

THE CONS: I am a longtime Windows user but bought an IMac two years ago....when the Intel ones first came out. I had so many problems with it crashing continuously and it was really slow. Finally after about 6 months of me brining it in weekly they took pity on me and gave me a new one. This one is much better it rarely ever has problems. But those commercials are misleading....a computer is a computer and they are all gonna have glitches.

One of the biggest PITA to me is when I want to get some new software and it is not MAC compatible. There are websites that do not recognize Safari (which is the Mac web browser) You will need to use Firefox, and you will still run into things that will not run MAC...for instance I was on Paypal the other day and they have a new application that you can download and use to pay for everything with paypal even sites that do not accept Paypal....BUT....as usual "Sorry Mac users its not for you"

Now I know I can install and run Windows on my Mac...but that kind of defeats the purpose of owning a Mac if you ask me. Last year I bought a Windows Vista laptop and solved my "wont work on a Mac" problem. Ironically Vista has some of the same issues with not being recognized though....but I haven't had any problems with my laptop at all, and have heard horror stories about Vista. (Knock on Wood)

THE PROS ON MACS:

They are easy to use once you get the hang of them, as things work differently then Windows, for instance....to close down an application the button is on the left....in Windows your red X is on the right, its mostly just small things like that. It's been two years and I still haven't figured it all out...but then again I am on a Windows computer at work all day still, so my brain has to switch back and forth between applications.

As said above you can pretty much just plug anything into them and they recognize it.....camera's, printers...etc. They are extremely stylish looking on your desk, and take up so much less room! You will be spoiled and never want to view pictures or videos on anything else again. They make everything look sooooo good.

Quote:
As said above you can pretty much just plug anything into them and they recognize it.....camera's, printers...etc. They are extremely stylish looking on your desk, and take up so much less room! You will be spoiled and never want to view pictures or videos on anything else again. They make everything look sooooo good.

You know every time I stop at a store and play with one that it what I notice the most. The screens on the mac books are soooo clear and sharp.

My dad got his because he is a photo nut and the editing software that he uses works best on the Mac.

Ian

Hey Robin,

I don't know if you have a child who is a student or not but if you do you can get a deal on the IMac on the apple website. It will save you between $50 and $100 depending on which model you choose. You can also pick up alot of software using the student discounts as well. There is also a version Microsoft Office for Mac that I bought for $100 when I got my IMac.

Actually my father in law just went to Best Buy a few weeks ago and they were running a 24 month no interest no payments deal and he picked up two 24 inch IMacs and a MacBook.

Food for thought,

Jaylene

Here are the eligibility requirements for student pricing:

ELIGIBILITY

Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:

K12 - Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States is eligible. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible.

Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale.

Higher Education Parents - Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States, are eligible to purchase.

U.S. SALES ONLY

The Apple Store sells and ships products only within the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. No shipments can be made to APO addresses, United States territories, or addresses outside the United States. You may not export any products purchased at the Apple Store.

PURCHASE QUANTITY

Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

1. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

2. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

3. Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

4. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year

5. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year

6. Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year

7. iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

**The above purchases can be made either online or through your Authorized Campus Reseller. Total product quantities remain the same regardless of where your purchase is made.