Radiator overflow tank.

$$$$

My guess is that it was not a $$$ required emission related item so it was not used. Later when it was required, it was added. 

Just think how much the auto industry saved by not having to add an overflow tank on all those vehicles!

5 minutes ago, stangeba said:

$$$$

My guess is that it was not a $$$ required emission related item so it was not used. Later when it was required, it was added. 

Just think how much the auto industry saved by not having to add an overflow tank on all those vehicles!

Very true 👍   .saved big time.

37 minutes ago, stangeba said:

$$$$

The bean counters would make changes just to save .001 cents on anything

• Like 1

Saving a few cents per car overall will save them millions let alone saving a buck or two per car. Just like the exploding pintos that cost about $3.00 a car to fix. Plus back in the 70s they didn't really know how toxic stuff was like antifreeze and asbestos,  or they knew but hid it.

• Like 1

I worked at a FORD dealership 1972 - 1981 and did many "RECALLS". 

Pinto, we added a longer fuel fill tube and if the area around the rear 1/4 panel were the fill tube attached, was rusted out, we added a "RING" to that area. It looked like crap.

Good times! (NOT)