Great source for speedo gears and whatnot

kc8oye

I just ordered a plastic speedo housing, drive gear, and driven gear for what it would have cost me to order ONE gear from TCI... I could have gotten an aluminum housing for $67, but right now money is a problem.

housing for $29

both gears $11 each.

place called Speedometer World

i'm hopin to get my new gears soon.. had my speedo certified today...

it reads 23% fast.. i think is how you phrase it..

now if I can only get the local magistrate to buy it ... and get out of that 68 in a 50.. OOPS!

my gears came today.. Watch yourself tho.. they sneak up on ya with the shipping!

they say on their website that they use the US postal service cuz it's cheaper to send gears.. I Figure 2 gears and a housing will fit in an envelope just fine (They would have) but they sent it ups.. cost me $13 in shipping for a box that's about 4" square.

i have a 700r4.. and I opted for the plastic housing for cost reasons.. the aluminum housing was $67 or so.. .i got the plastic one for $25 IIRC.

i stopped by my trans shop and he hooked me up with the correct gaskets & seals for it.. and showed me a trick of stuffing TWO gear shaft seals in it to keep it from leaking.

well, we discussed it some more sam.. he still says it's the TV cable.. and he, like a lot of people here, don't understand what I'm saying.. *sigh*

but at least my speedo is right now.

I lucked out.. the trans already had the red 17 tooth drive gear on the output shaft, so I only had to remove the speedo cable and the one hold down bolt and swap the housing and gear on the outside of the case.. didn't have to get into the tail housing :>

yeah.. the TH350's downshift cable is easy to adjust.. you can even leave it disconnected...

but the 700r4's TV cable replaces the functionality of the vacuum modulator as well as the downshift cable, so it's absolutely critical it's set right.