spatter paint question

Kroemer

ok i did search the forums and didnt find the answer i was lookin for i know some people get mad for takin up space with simple questions but im learnin so bear with me here. im goin to spatter paint the trunk i wire brushed all the metal to clean it up and get the rust off but im wonderin if i need to prime it first or what i need to do to get it ready for the spatter paint. also based on what ive seen looks like it takes 2 cans to do the whole thing? thanks for the replies

I think I got this one.

As I recall, most splatter paints are water based. It would be best if you prime raw metal first. After it's all fully cured, lay on a coat of low gloss clear coat to seal and protect it.

I wrote:

After it's all fully cured, lay on a coat of low gloss clear coat to seal and protect it.

I kinda meant the low gloss clear to go on top of the splatter paint, not on the primer.

A word of caution...if your car is done & together & you are ONLY re-doing the spatter in your trunk - beware - that stuff tends to end up everywhere. When Greg did mine, the whole car was covered very well & we still ended up with spatter on the deck lid & body that he had to rub out. Which was ok since it needed a major rub out anyhow wink

And do not hesitate to post a question & worry about "taking up space"...there is alot of info here & sometimes the search can be tricky.

We're pretty friendly & have never given anyone a hard time for posting a ? that has already been asked. Besides, there are new members everyday that benefit from repeated questions & info smile

I suggest using a black primer if your going with a dark color and a gray primer if your going a lighter trunk color. The speckle paint doesn't really cover that well and you'll go through a lot of it if you don't have the appropriate base color underneath.

My 2 cents,

Steve