possible solution to 700r4 shifting problems

kc8oye

Guest 72yellowmc
I would just spend half that and get the (constant Pressure Valve body) that way you don't have to mess with the TV adjustment. It maintains the pressure internally.

Ditto!!!!!!!

{calmly} ok, I'm going to say this one last time.. perhaps then someone will listen to me... {/calmly}

the problem is not in my TV CABLE

The trans:

will not 1-2 upshift until 30mph. *period* throttle position does not matter.

will not 2-3 upshift until 40mph. *period* throtte position does not matter.

all part throttle upshifts are way to late

all full throttle upshifts are way to early.

(basicly, the shifts don't move in response to the TV cable)

the trans will not detent-downshift for any reason, regardless of TV cable

position.

the only upshift that seems to work correctly is the 3-4 upshift.

above 50mph, the trans will not 4-3 detent.

it will not 4-2 downshift for anyreason.

it will 3-2 downshift at low speeds (like around 30 mph)

I don't think it has ever made a 2-1 downshift either.

If the problem is TV related, it's inside the transmission's valve body.

I purposely over adjusted the tv cable to the point that it stopped me from being able to open the secondaries all the way.. and it still won't give me correct full throttle behavior, and my trans shop just keeps telling me I need to adjust the tv cable.

so in march when the warranty is up, I'm gonna put a new valve body in it. I dont' think it's gonna be full manual because the car is driven on the street and I don't want it screech-bang shifting all the time.

side note: I understand the 1-2 upshift will be late, that's actully what I want. partly because of my driving style, partly because 1st gear is so 'short' (3.06:1) with 3.55:1 rear gears, at _FULL_ throttle, I want the 1-2 upshift to happen very close to 6000 rpm to make full use of that 1st gear.

but when the PART throttle upshift doesn't happen until 30 mph, that's a problem, cuz that means I'm doing 4500 rpm @ 25mph in a residential area (which I do frequently going to mom's)

and going up to 30 is not a good idea

as for my driving style, I prefer to roll around the corner, and then lay into it.. mainly cuz with that posi, she likes to slide a lot. and that's not good when traffic is heavy and I'm trying to pull out into traffic.

if anything they should tell you have to set it up. ive read alot of tims problems with his 700 and he has taken it back to the show but the owner keeps tell him its right. and you don't want to take it to another shop since it has a warranty. i would ask them how to set the tv cable up. i know bowtie overdrive wanted 200psi in each gear tv cable hooked and unhooked. since we are dealing with a holley carb the tv cable need to be off center of the throttle stud so it pulls right. holley sales the bracket that moves the tv stud back some. im not sure if you are running that bracket or the one that was on the carb when dave got it. it could be the trans is low on fluid. when my 700 was low on fluid it would shift odd even adjusting the tv cable would change when it shifted. you have changed the governor and it did not change anything right? with the governor you have to play around with the different parts in the kit.

I agree with Allan, I still think it could be TV adjustment. Like he said, that cable tells the tranny the throttle position which will change your shift points, and also adjusts the fluid pressure which would need to be higher at higher loads to keep the clutches from burning up.

If you have your TV cable too tight, the tranny will think you are under a large throttle opening situation and it will make the shift points later.

You are right to look at the governor too, if you have excess dirt or wear in the tranny (in this case in the gov bore), your gov may not be operating correctly. It can get stuck and not move right which will change shift points like you are describing.

I pulled the cable all the way out as far as it would go, and locked it in that place with a pair of essentially very small vice grips, and it still wouldn't upshift in the right place.

I can leave the cable unhooked, and it will still upshift very late at part throttle.

I should bave been a little more explicit, the problem is not in the adjustment of the tv cable. and yes, I've had the shop set it several times.

I would like the MVB.. but I don't want the trans screech-banging the shifts at part throttle when I'm just trying to roll around town.

The manual valve body will likely shift pretty similarly to your current valve body because at part throttle and moving around town you still have your torque converter absorbing the shocks.

I switched from a stock VB to an ATI competition VB because my old one was not operating properly. All in all, I can't really tell much difference between the ATI VB and my old one when it was working right. Both had similar upgrades to make the shift quicker etc.

The only drawback with the manual VB is that it is a manual VB! You will be shifting all the time!

I'm already doing that anyway scott.. might as well go all the way smile this trans has a habbit of forcing upshifts on me when I don't want them too. If I hang out @ 6000 rpm too long it will force a 1-2 upshift even when I'm in Low-1

yeah i know sam.. and I don't like it.

that would be ok for a stock engine that wouldn't want to see the high side of 5000 rpm most of it's life.

I tend to get up arond 6k from time to time doing a burnout.. it's very annoying when the trans shifts to 2nd, cuz I don't just dont' have the torque to roast 'em in 2nd frown